Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A brown truck stopped in front of my house today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blackbird, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    And left this!

[​IMG]

It's a Peavey TL-Five, apparently an earlier model than my TL-Six.

One feature I liked immediately is the active/passive switch. It's a life saver, I kid you not (The bass came with a dead battery:rolleyes: ).

The neck's a little beefier than the 6, in that it's less flat. String spacing is on the narrow side by a hair, but the Schaller bridge has string spacing capability, so I gotta tinker with that a little.

Sounds pretty good. A lot like the 6, so no surprises there. I really like the passive sound. I need to put some fresh strings before elaborating more.

All in all, a great deal.

2. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Here's a close-up.

[​IMG]

3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Wow! Congratulations! It's beautiful:)

4. Congrats, BW! Nice bass!

Jeff

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Very nice, Will!

That has the Super Ferrite single coils, doesn't it?

6. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yup. The one and only.:)

With the preamp on, I was getting quite a bit of high end hiss, so I opened the control cavity and - surprise! There's a rotary knob that allows you to control the output volume (The TL-6 doesn't have this. Also, the circuitboard on the TL-5 has "Dyna Bass" printed on it - interesting). I've turned it down to match the passive output, but it still hisses noticeably, So I'll keep it passive for now (It sure does nail the P-bass tone, though).

The only snag I've hit is finding the trus rod tool. While the 6 was set up perfecly for my style out of the box, the 5 needs a bit of tweaking. I went to the local Peavey dealer (Haight Ashbury) and they said they didn't have any, so I'm contacting Peavey. This'll be an interesting addition to Matt Schmill's bass review archive...

7. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Man, thats one hell of a bass....how much did you pay for it...I might have to look into a Peavey.

8. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    Gotta love that Brown Truck !!!:D

Nice Bass.....congrats !!

PJR

9. 24 frets, 24 FRETS! I feel both happy for you and jealousy on my end.

Enjoy it, Big. :)

Grrr!

Mike J.

10. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    where are those sound clips? ;)

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Congrats BW, sweet bass.

12. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Less than $440 shipped.

pc: Soundclips? I'd love to make some. How do you do it?

13. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    I remember those tools for the Peav's...I think you can get a good one from Guitar Showcase - or anyone that has dealt peavey for sometime - maybe Bronstein's in SSF...

14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Nice bass, BW!! :D

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That bass is beautiful. Please post a picture of the back of the neck, and body, it looks like there is flamed maple all the way up and I'd love to see it. I believe that is a very early TL-Five. It is very similar to the Dyna-Bass Unity Series basses that preceeded it. Later TL-5s that I saw in stored had big humbucking pickups and probably a different EQ.

That bass has the same electronics and pickups that my 1989 Dyna-Bass had. (see attached file - the layout will be familiar ;) I no longer own the bass) Volume, blend, bass, midrange, treble, on/off switch. You're not kidding about the active/passive switch being a life saver! I had a dead battery during a gig one time! Switch that sucker to "passive" and I was good to go, no hesitation no problems. FYI, your "Treble" control, which is center detented boost/cut in active mode, becomes "tone" in passive mode, and the center detent is meaningless.

I always thought that my Dyna-Bass sounded great. Those "Super Ferrite" single coils are decent pickups, but like all true single coils they hum when soloed. (I don't mind this because I like the sound of two singles).

Congratulations on finding a great bargain!

16. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Thy will be done. It really is flamed all the way to the top. the back is prettier than the front. Sorry about the less than excellent pic.
    [​IMG]

Thanks. I sort of knew that the TL had Dyna guts. As a matter of fact, when I was researching this bass, I got more info out of Dyna reviews than of TL reviews (I'm guessing because there are more Dynas out there)

Question: Did your Dyna have a persistent hiss when you turned up the treble? I have to leave my treble control in center position, otherwise I get a hiss, which is too bad, because it it *the* Marcus Miller vibe.:( Right now, I'm playing it in passive mode which gives me enough Jamerson and Jaco not to be bothered by the problem for now.

One more thing: I contacted Peavey yesterday regarding the wrench. They e-mailed me back today, saying I can buy it directly from them. I'm just glad I don't have to cross any county lines to find the darn tool.

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:eek:

:D

18. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Honestly I almost never touched the EQ on that bass. The sound of it with everything centered was really amazing to me. Turning up the treble just made it sound brittle. Remember, we're talking about my fingers and my technique on steel strings. Surely your touch is different than mine, so a treble boost may be in order. I vaguely remember a slight hiss on the boosted treble, but your suggestion may be enough for me to conjure that memory up. :( Sorry!

I highly recommend Peavey strings for that bass if it is like my Dyna. Peavey brand steel strings sound smooth as silk and play like buttah! Listen to me playing my Dyna in my old band on mp3.com at :

http://artists.mp3s.com/artist_song/127/127096.html

(the other songs I'm playing my franken-P-Bass)

...But your TL is a big step up from my Dyna was as far as construction and materials!

Anyway, that bass is GOREGEOUS!!! I love the way they kept the flamed maple neck pieces in perfect order and distance so that you can see the figure even through the walnut (?) strips. Absolutely beautiful construction and attention to detail. I'm impressed. :) Enjoy that bass, if it sounds like my Dyna it's a hell of a slap bass - I hear you completely on the Marcus Miller vibe - it's got that kind of smooth dual single coil sound and a very easy feel.

19. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Now I wish I still had that thing. The neck was wonderful, I LOVE a laquered / painted neck.:cool:

20. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    easy:

peavey -> any effect (only to impedance coupling, can be bypassed) -> sound blaster line in -> windows sound recorder