Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A bunch of new stuff!

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Damon Rondeau, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Folks, I finally got caught up and I have the great pleasure of announcing some additions to the Talkin' Bass page.

We have FIVE new contributors to the page. In alphabetical order:

Mike Case, a.k.a. mike da mook, has contributed a couple of tracks.

Ray Parker is finally in the lineup. I listened again last night to his Flaxen Hair sampler while updating the page and all I can say to people is: don't miss it. Don't you dare miss it!

And -- ahem -- I've tossed in a couple, one each bluegrass and jazz.

Peder Waern, lovebown to all of us on The Board, has got a track up there now.

And, Erik Whitton has contributed some playing to check out.

Finally, in the way of revisions, Chris Fitzgerald has posted links to some fresh material. I'm checking it out right now and it's really swinging, folks.

I guess this will spike the old bandwidth meter!

Enjoy, and thanks to all.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Started listening tonight. I'll likely not be able to get it all in until tomorrow sometime.

And -- your words are very kind.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I tried to download Ray's "Flaxen Hair" clip. The download seemed to go fine, but when I went to play it, I got a "you need to update your software" message from Real Player. It updated the software, then told me I needed to restart the machine, which I did. When I got it back up, it told me I needed to update the software again. Any ideas? Is this a downloading clip or a streaming clip??

4. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I'm sure Ray will be along to help out, but one thing I know is that those are Windows Media (i.e., wma file extension) files Ray is using.

Now that we're linking to other sites, we've opened Pandora's box of file type variations. We'll all wind up with every audio program in town!

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    They are pseudo-streamed WindowsMedia files. What platform (PC/Mac) are you running and what version of MediaPlayer do you have? I encoded those quite a while ago, so you'd have to have a pretty old version of the player to not be able play them. At worst I'll re-encode those to WM9 if it helps...

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Sorry -- just waking up. What Damon said -- those are WindowsMedia clips. RealPlayer won't be able to play them. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmedia and get the player...

7. S´wonderful! The Sampler Page is developing to what we expected...a really nice bunch of stuff from players of many styles and levels. I´ve enjoyed the new contributions, and since there´s a lot of new stuff, as well as older which I haven´t put a lot of time to listen, I decided to download all the files to iTunes. Now I can listen the tracks at home through much better stereo amplifier and speakers.
    The only problem is Ray´s tracks, because iTunes won´t understand WM files, and even if I get the WM Player, I´m not sure if iTunes is able to convert them into MP3 ( I´m running a Mac OS 9, so no latest iTunes available... ).
    Demon, is there any change to convert Ray´s tracks into MP3 on the Sampler Page?
    Also I´d want to suggest that all the future conributions also would be in MP3 format, since everyone has the software for listening to MP3´s, no matter what platform they are running.
    Comments´?

R2

PS. RAY: I´d sure like to hear your stuff, especially that one with Mika Pohjola and Sanni. Please say Hi to her for me.

8. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Arto, I hear you and I feel your pain. I'm not sure if I can do anything about it, though.

What I've begun to do with this last batch of entries onto the page is link to music files stored on servers other than mine. In other words, I'm just linking to some of these files, I'm not serving them. Previously I served 'em all and was Lord and Master of the domain; not entirely so anymore.

For the page to live and grow at little cost, using server space other than my own is going to be a necessary tactic. In that situation, I'm in no position to go telling people the format in which to store their material.

If you knew me at work, you'd know that I'm a bit of a heretic when it comes to the idea of standardization, of "always standardize no matter what." In a changing and evolving environment, does it make sense to standardize on anything? I say it makes more sense to know the environment and adapt. Grow. Roll with the punches. Strategize on how to survive.

Why am I babbling like this? (Believe me, it would make no more sense in Finnish, Arto.) Because in this world of free music data players and online delivery of music data there is more than simply MP3 (a good thing, I think.) I know nothing practical of Mac and iTunes, but how do people on Macs manage to play WMAs (Windows Media format)? Can it really be the case that they are not playable on a Mac? There are some major online delivery systems that ONLY serve WMA -- are they writing off the Mac world?

Another option: if there isn't any anti-jacking stuff in the WMA file, you can convert to any format you'd like once you've downloaded the data.

I've arranged my computing affairs so that I can play just about any music format there is out there. In fact, these days I find that Windows Media Player handles just about everything I want out of a player (including the best handling of metadata that I've seen, even though "best" in this case still means it sucks pretty bad.) I look all the time for any of the Marks of The Beast -- on me, my software, and my children -- but I haven't found any yet.

It's very early days yet, Arto; we'll see how this develops. If file type diversity impedes progress or blows chunks in any other big way, we'll do something about it.

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You can play WMA on Mac with Windows Media Player for sure, and there're likely a few others ways to do it as well. Not being a Mac guy I don't know. Unlike RealAudio, the other big proprietary format, Microsoft is open about encoding and decoding their format and so there are a lot of players in the PC world that can handle to format. I used to do everything in RealAudio, because way back when that was the best format for getting things playable/streamable over a dialup connection. RealAudio has always had the habit of 'burping' when playing (where it'll have to stop a rebuffer occasionally). At a certain point there were better MP3 compressing programs and WindowsMedia had grown up a little bit I did a pretty exhaustive side-by-side of everything out there and found that WMA was, for my money, the best format. For a given file size, WMA sounds better, compresses faster, and carries better MetaData.

I'm dowloading my own clips right now to see if I can get them all into MP3, what Meta data survives the conversion, etc. I'll se if I have the space to serve these up or whether I have to get them to DR or what.

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Ok, I MP3'ed everything, but at a dial-up downloadable 16kb/s you can't hear the drums or much else in the upper frequencies at all, so I hesitate to post them without first asking, "at what bitrate (or filesize) should I put these up at?" I have the original WAV files for all of the Flaxen Hair and Gastrosonic things, the other stuff is all on MD somewhere and I'm just not going to have the time/energy to redo these.

I'll stand by.

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    OK. Another update. I did another side by side of MP3 and WMA. This isn't meant to start any religious debate on Microsoft v. The World or 'my favorite format' or anything. Just an FYI.

I found 64kb/s WMA Higher-FI -- better separation and clarity -- than 128kb/s MP3. The WMA files weigh in at just about 1/2 the size of MP3. I chose 128k/s MP3 as that what was being used on Damon's site by many. 64k/s WMA is what I use to archive my CD's on my PC for 'at work' listening.

Here is the list:

06/14/2004 01:47 PM 894,322 Flaxen Hair - 01 - Flaxen Hair (Intro).mp3
    06/14/2004 01:59 PM 456,334 Flaxen Hair - 01 - Flaxen Hair (Intro).wma
    06/14/2004 01:49 PM 8,294,290 Flaxen Hair - 02 - If I Love Again.mp3
    06/14/2004 02:00 PM 4,196,314 Flaxen Hair - 02 - If I Love Again.wma
    06/14/2004 01:50 PM 5,139,116 Flaxen Hair - 03 - Pedal Pusher.mp3
    06/14/2004 02:01 PM 2,601,190 Flaxen Hair - 03 - Pedal Pusher.wma
    06/14/2004 01:52 PM 9,658,508 Flaxen Hair - 04 - In the Absence Of.mp3
    06/14/2004 02:02 PM 4,884,230 Flaxen Hair - 04 - In the Absence Of.wma
    06/14/2004 01:53 PM 4,760,863 Flaxen Hair - 05 - Flaxen Hair (Full Version).mp3
    06/14/2004 02:03 PM 2,408,934 Flaxen Hair - 05 - Flaxen Hair (Full Version).wma
    06/14/2004 01:54 PM 4,895,863 Flaxen Hair - 06 - Spit.mp3
    06/14/2004 02:03 PM 2,478,026 Flaxen Hair - 06 - Spit.wma
    06/14/2004 01:55 PM 5,388,637 Flaxen Hair - 07 - Up a Lazy River.mp3
    06/14/2004 02:04 PM 2,727,358 Flaxen Hair - 07 - Up a Lazy River.wma
    06/14/2004 01:55 PM 2,966,982 Flaxen Hair - 08 - In the Wee Small Hours.mp3
    06/14/2004 02:04 PM 1,504,730 Flaxen Hair - 08 - In the Wee Small Hours.wma
    06/14/2004 01:56 PM 1,953,849 Flaxen Hair - 09 - Flaxen Hair (Outro).mp3
    06/14/2004 02:04 PM 991,046 Flaxen Hair - 09 - Flaxen Hair (Outro).wma

I don't have the space to put up the MP3's at 128. The lower fidelity MP3's don't really seem to be worth the effort. I can also check out RealAudio if that would be more usable to more folks.

12. Aw, shucks! I´m REALLY sorry, guys. After I seen all da trouble I caused to to you, Demon and Ray, I feel more than ashamed..., really, it´s not YOUR problem, it´s mine. Having a Mac should make things easier for me, not harder, and what it really shouldn´t cause, is trouble for all of you "normal" human beings.
    I´m not starting a debate here about Macs & Pc´s, I´m just tellin´ that being a Mac user, I shoulda been able to find a quick solution, without even bothering You. It´s just that computing is not my business. Sorry!
    I´ll find my way. And let´s forget the **** about file formats, that was a selfish and stupid suggestion.

R2
    :rolleyes:

13. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Not selfish or stupid at all -- and no problem beyond that. We're just all victims of somebody else's argument. The Mac and Unix world does everything it can to be anti-Microsoft and what usually happens as a result is that Mac and Unix people have to go out of their way to connect to the other 90% of the world, and the folks at MS go out of their way to connect to everything and so we PC people go along unaware of what the 'other side' has to deal with. It blows, but it is the way it is.

I can post those MP3's somewhere if somebody has the extra space. I've put up the hi-band WMA's at my site, with the lower band ones linked from Damon's site. The lo band sound pretty good at 56K Dialup downloadability, the Hi band work just fine on my cable modem...

Please advise.

14. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I think if it works, leave it. Arto and others will figure a way to play those WMAs (wasn't Chris asking about these files and isn't he a Mac guy?) I agree it's a good format and I've got no problem in leaving folks to deal with it.

Call me cold-hearted, go ahead.

15. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    WindowsMedia player is a free download for Mac people, too. I think I mentioned above somewhere, but:

http://www.Microsoft.com/mediaplayer

...should get you there. The page autodetects your browser and platform and send you to the proper download page.

16. I downloaded and installed WM Player from Microsoft´s Mactopia page. Took about one minute to install, and it worked fine ( at least for your stuff, instant connection to the server and the stream was decent sounding ).

Awesome stuff, Ray. :hyper:

R2

17. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Thanks!With all of the bad rap the Microsoft gets, they keep getting bigger because they go out of the way to enable everyone...except, perhaps, Netscape/Sun.

18. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Folks, here is an article from PC Magazine's web spinoff ExtremeTech. It compares four different audio codecs using a simple real world methodology.

Guess which format was clearly ahead of the game? WMA. The only drawback the editors could really get excited about was iPod's lack of support for WMA.