1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Bunch of questions!

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by jbassvenod, Mar 26, 2009.

1. jbassvenod

jbassvenod

Mar 26, 2009
    Hello Janek!!!
    thank you once again for inspiring me so much!!!!i really feel like ur a virtuous bass player..Im a young bass player all the way from singapore....and i'd like to ask some questions.

1)can u talk abt the effects u use with jojo mayer's Nerve Band?Im really into the effects that u used.here's a link to refer to wat im talking abt.

2)wat's ur your advice for singing what i wanna say on my bass?cos i really love the fact that when u solo,ur saying wat u wanna say.i really feel its impt to be able to do tat as an improvising musician.I've been taking ur advice abt transcribing also and it has very much helped me.I get some advice like,"dun try to sing what u play....know the language first"(in this case i mean jazz).what shld i do?i think doing both is gd...so i can work doing both together.what is your take janek?

3)What's your take abt a holding down e ground when another mate is soloing...cos i feel nowadays bass players do too much during another's solo...it kinda eats into the solo in my opinion.Sorry if im incorrect,im a young musician trying to learn e right way..how do i bring myself to playing tastefully,give the soloist some support in what he/she is saying,yet be able to hold the ground and not eat into the solo?

4)your take on locking in with the drummer?me and the drummer im working with,are really working on locking to create a tight groove....to build a strong rhythm section.also how do we excite things for a soloist?ur opinion?cos i really loved e way u and tobias connected on your album,live@55 bar.

i hope it isn't alot to answer,i really wanted to these questions to u...but didn't know where.lol

when is ur next podcast btw?i believe many learn from it!and i hope to see more frm the podcasts!!!thank you very much once again!

sincerely,
    jbassvenod

2. adri24an

adri24an

Nov 2, 2007
    Madrid, Spain
    Endorsing Artist: TC Electronic Amps, Ernie Ball Strings, Monocases
    i think that janek answered this question in several old threads! take a look at the old posts and you will find the answer!

good luck!

3. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    nerve soundcheck - I'm using a Boss OC-2, Line 6 synth pedal, bass balls, and about 20 others.... but a lot of the signal processing comes from the front of house engineer Roli Mossiman.

singing while playing - http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499668&highlight=singing+janek

playing behind a soloist or a singer is a total feel thing. You have to check out records that you really dig, and find things that are tasteful. Most of the players who have made a great name for themselves as bass players have learnt to play tastefully and not get in the way of what's going on in the rest of the band. One phrase you can take with you is this. Listen first, Play Second.

Locking in with a drummer is all about experience and just doing it all the time. You're going to notice things that feel great, and things that don't. Just build upon what feels good and expand your ability to relax when you're in the pocket.

The new podcast will come at the beginning of next week. I'm working on it over the weekend.

Easy,

Janek

4. jbassvenod

jbassvenod

Mar 26, 2009
    Alright!!thanks you for answering my questions!!!i appreciate it!pleasure to have to talk such great bassists!

cheers!

5. jbassvenod

jbassvenod

Mar 26, 2009
    oh yes,janek...

is there any tips for practicing and development of singing while im playing?the link u sent me,didn't quiet answer my question...

thanks!
    jbassvenod

6. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    well I'm not actually concentrating on the singing aspect of the technique. I'm a terrible singer, I just have musical ideas in my head that come out through the voice as the first point of entry into the world.

If you want to work on your singing, I would suggest doing all the thing you do for the bass, but for your voice. You'll soon sync the two up and it'll become really smooth to be able to play the ideas you're singing.

Easy,

Janek