A busy week in the Deep North...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by DirtDog, Aug 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Had four gigs with two different bands this past week. Much mirth and merriment!

2017-08-12 12:01 Private BBQ/Open House at a seniors residence. The weather was looking kind of frightening so the party was inside. Out of respect for the folks in the home, no pics of the crowd.

Our "stage". Drums went with a minimal setup and lead guitar played his Martin acoustic. Sounded pretty good!

txSDvaWFq4VfozC3OH-dd0P71Wa4OmKzVLTRic38NUERUbW3UUJWKlquZDCfzz69ba5tz8-C9xniTuafDq=w1024-h768-no.jpg

The green room between sets. Kev and Reid about to tuck in. Reid wasn't feeling well, so just stuck to the Chardonnay.

gRfHmhROxJju6lnt_FtWuB7BWRwMMWTAMG3ar8q4OkgvxE3gnFontw5Hr5cBw3G8O7pGgQbIhcISLnZSgTw=w744-h992-no.jpg

A nice plate of food for @dbase. Pulled pork sandwich, mixed grill, corn, potato salad and all the fixins.

zL_ZvQDRpPq_XgL3LSAdOxBdZso3jjks6xJB6trZ6lOMVAHzAiUCnlKCS1qblrhre0Cu013bJl2YNJLEfv=w1024-h768-no.jpg

Wrapped it up around 14:00 and had a couple hours of downtime before the next gig

Setup and played to a mostly empty house this weekend. Always the doldrums around here in August. With our short summers, no one seems to want to hang out in a bar on a beautiful Saturday night. Can't blame them. This was the first time in six gigs here that there wasn't a full room.Had a fun time and will be back at this venue soon.

GtX8FM9tKjLB7JoP_WpVVI4_QuJ0ycbTFZ40TtPCK_mXzKUSwnN48YH1a8eclqgHKgfO1vQT6JQZjYQIjO=w1024-h768-no.jpg

2sXxtBZz47MYBD74cAxNf1e0V_zgK2Br6Emd2SfWZWbngssHk1zuB-tJxudx0_GJ5EUjlfLMX87AmsoMEx=w1024-h768-no.jpg

Wasn't a complete write off!
    y7QjgntUxfT9IGmVjDGUAI4M1o5Ee1Drf6MQmegwbZEEcyq1lKQ6FH61QmBNjp7BRWz6IQdACUJfNTHTIt=w1024-h768-no.jpg

The time for some mid-week downtime at the cottage. My rig for that day was "Priscilla, Queen of the Lake".

_43nVDcL4YiqK_ACKdTJ0cbJbRYueJa9AXQtGVAvs58Nl46aa6G_Ii2NbOfkFdsA4jDKjbbobIgkvKGodwo=w480-h640-no.jpg

Fast forward to 2017-08-19 21:00

Playing with my second band, a hard rock original trio that I've played with off and on since the early 2000s. We hosted an EPIC open stage. A real cast of characters that started off with some spoken word cowboy poetry and morphed into a funk/disco/freestyle hiphop jam. I was really pleased with my Fender Starcaster/Ampeg PF500 combination - but the bearded hippie guy sitting in funked the hell of it- see video below...

The tiny stage:

nvQVmhm_7w2Z1utTiDbZzhDW7xNeNcT65wAJv2hG9z2rY0EddLqtQWlEFYRiNksnEv1Nm-DQvBdkutkKqt=w1024-h768-no.jpg

A tiny but raucous venue. Both outdoor patios - front and back - were packed. Probably a good 100 people there!

_khVoC0jpBoCrY_eRq39KC6CJlg8WsOcQv7Z86SqYzfB9ponmuJkAfgdcLGI3sH6pt7Pp74MNZLStxSaKc=w1024-h768-no.jpg

Some video of the hip-funkification!

Someone was having a birthday!

sWR5afCjwrenvuhD4Zra-LMgp_b3oKzh0x06YRoqjwmds-hGF-sRJ8nhCooeM5wHJpi9BQ-nRcC_E4yax_=w1024-h768-no.jpg

And to bring you to this past Saturday night.

2017-08-19 23:59

Annual Farm Party at my buddy Slim Johnny J's ranch out in the sticks. This party has transformed over the years from a few friends getting together to camp out and sing songs around the campfire to a large party for friends and locals. Even the local cottages show up on a tractor drawn hay wagon to party! The space has been transformed from a former hay barn/storage barn to a full-on performance space with a dedicated PA and lighting system. The two brothers that host this party pull out all the stops - stage, bar, dance floor, games room and so on.

TBFmWzFTiId3zSYLGjEiZmld6OsQCOBaqOO_aht3Qq4nv9h61Q37C2VoPowe-2PocJTC5nsH-3ZG_1pfvS=w1024-h768-no.jpg

Here's my buddy's band performing their set. I was manning the mixer.

R8u7vVGj2mrt52oEEt1tCorFxa0zXnYIH4OAG93cai7UB8-CMIQWZCCmyMR1HDq-ihJJNEsYMD12fdmj9p=w1024-h768-no.jpg

There was also a funk/disco band on the bill, but I didn't get any shots of them.

My country band wasn't available, so it was the hard rock outfit again. Not the ideal crowd for this music (folkies/hippies) but there were a few diehard rockers in the crowd! Incidentally, the first gig of this band was at this party in 2003

Your truly...

mLCNhmO45Z-sR-nXCue2wZKOsShkvjqxR2CPqFzlWbC2-X6zygLmGSRM1Jmb95uwtgqYkv9dhKk5vtKLJe6=w744-h992-no.jpg

And the band...

QUJqAEqo06M2-1O4EXqOGCKxW7uGOOLcYV4pzCXNeEaoZZ-eulRpNrt5sDplj2z9856lUO3e9EvCCX_o0-=w1024-h768-no.jpg

And the campfire around 3am!

JCgDcINs1aPyYg7ToboJ3pnd_zC8bUz1slK35phGP6strQty2PpXTbMB-mipoEDDdj9GFqsN4ZUSeX3Psi=w1024-h768-no.jpg

Totally exhausted right now and have a couple of weeks off until the next gig!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    OCDave, hrodbert696, Lex P. and 22 others like this.
  2. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    A cool, diverse set of venues. Even with one being empty the others made up for it.

That's reminiscent of Levon Helm's famous Rambles. Very cool!

3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

You were almost as busy as I was last week. (I had five gigs.) But yours look like a ton of fun, especially the unicorn bit. :D

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

4. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Very good report .. . I have four senior gigs coming up in a few weeks and two other gigs with two different bands. Lets see now, that's three bands I'm in. Cant catch up with BassCliff. I've played a ton of assisted living senior gigs with my trio and have never seen food like that. Usually they serve jello, juice, cookies, meatloaf and mashed potatoes... Your place served some good grub. BTW .. nice bass, is that hollow body?

Fat Freddy, nixdad, McG and 1 other person like this.
  5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Definitely a Levon Helm barn vibe....my buddy needs to do more than one event per year, though. Been trying to talk him into a fall barn dance with my country band...

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Thanks Cliff! Glad you liked the unicorn floatie!

Fat Freddy, nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Apparently this is one of the more swanky homes in town. I'm sure they rolled out all the stops for the open house (families/friends of residents). Maybe they eat jello and mashed potatoes the rest of the time?

That bass is a semi-hollow actually. Fender Starcaster from the Modern Player series. Short scale and very light. Fun to play - thumpy and grindy...

dbase, Fat Freddy, McG and 1 other person like this.
  8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Hey, DirtDog ?
    Wher in the deep north?
    Thanks for sharing.

dbase and DirtDog like this.
  9. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Excellent report...LOVE the Starcaster!

dbase, Fat Freddy, BassCliff and 2 others like this.
  10. Some good gigs there, the last two in particular looked great! I haven't listened to the video yet b/c I'm at work right now, will catch it later on.

Sore Thumb, dbase and DirtDog like this.
  11. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Up in Canada - Ottawa to be exact....

Sore Thumb and dbase like this.
  12. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Thanks!!

dbase, Fat Freddy and nixdad like this.
  13. Great stuff! Unicorns, barns, hippies OH MY!

Thanks for posting Dirtdog

dbase, McG, Fat Freddy and 1 other person like this.
  14. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    And, don't forget, in Canada, Kraft Dinner. drool

dbase, DirtDog and Fat Freddy like this.
  15. Nice! I like the seniors home gigs. Those folks are very appreciative.

dbase and DirtDog like this.
  16. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North

Mmmm....KD - now in Original AND Triple Cheese!

17. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Look at what is made now.

d2ebb607b9e93660f5a324c89f1b843b.jpg

DirtDog likes this.
  18. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right!

Oct 25, 2013
    Ajax Ontario
    Not only that, most of them can't get away! And since they don't hear too well, I sound a lot better there.

DirtDog, Wisebass and Sore Thumb like this.
  19. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Are you trying to say they are a captive audience? ;)

GoLeafsGo, DirtDog and Sore Thumb like this.
  20. Just what I need in my diet - more orange powder!

DirtDog likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021