1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A cab for a bad neighborhood ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassgod76, Oct 7, 2013.

  1. bassgod76

    bassgod76 bass turd burglar

    Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    My band is currently having to move out of the place we normally practice. We practice at our guitarist's house, but recently, a new neighbor has made law enforcement aware of our noise, so we have to move our operation to our other guitarist's house.

    Our other guitarist lives in a questionable area. In short, theft may be an issue.

    I don't mind transporting my head and bass to and from practice, but the cab is another story.

    I need a cheap used cab, that if stolen, isn't a big deal.

    I saw a Sunn 2-15 cab, rated at 100 watts for $100. Will this be able to handle my 300 watt GK 800RB?
  2. oerk


    Oct 16, 2009
    It will, if you listen to the cab and back off the volume if the speakers are struggling. If it's loud enough for your practice levels is another story.

    I don't know the cab in question, but I expect a 2x15 to be loud enough if you practice at somewhat reasonable levels.
  3. Dave Curran

    Dave Curran Lilduke

    Jul 27, 2013
    Just put an ADT security sticker on there.
  4. petrus61

    petrus61 Supporting Member

    I would get something with a bit more headroom. There's usually used Peavy and Hartke cabs that can be had pretty cheap. Not saying the Sunn won't get the job done, but I'd try to shoot for something with a bit more so you don't end up just having to buy another one anyway.
  5. Tampabass

    Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

    Feb 16, 2006
    I know you are, but what am I?
    or get a bad dog to stand watch? :)
  6. bassgod76

    bassgod76 bass turd burglar

    Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    A Sunn Beta???
  7. Broadstbully22


    Dec 5, 2011
    I think I would buy a DI box and run through the PA if you can. Since its only practice it doesn't have to be perfect plus you would have a nice DI box for future use instead of a big cab you don't really like.
  8. bassgod76

    bassgod76 bass turd burglar

    Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Will a SABD/DI work?
  9. Broadstbully22


    Dec 5, 2011
    I don't see why not. If you don't already have one I would suggest getting a b3. It is only 200 bucks has a di built in and a ton of other things. I have one I use and it is really handy. Some shows if I know the sound guy and the pa and trust it I don't even take my rig. It is awesome just going to a show with a gig bag.
  10. smogg


    Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Absolutely YES :)
  11. bassgod76

    bassgod76 bass turd burglar

    Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I already have one. I will try it out. If it doesn't work, I will try something else.
  12. Broadstbully22


    Dec 5, 2011
    See and no money spent and no worrying.
  13. Sav'nBass

    Sav'nBass Supporting Member

    Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I did that this weekend for the first time with my B3.. it was great.. I am so impressed with this box.. The only thing I don't like about it is that the mute function does not work with the DI.. only with the line out. I worked around that by going through a DI box on site because I prefer to be able to mute my bass as I need to but the DI itself otherwise was clean as a whistle.. The sound guy said he could not tell the difference between his DI and the DI on the B3 .. they both were very clean.
  14. Broadstbully22


    Dec 5, 2011
    I bought the expression pedal to hook up and it controls my mute. Thing is even cooler now.
  15. edpal

    edpal Banned

    Oct 3, 2007
    OP - what efforts were made to change sound, soundproof, etc.? Let's say your practice area has a big picture window which is the leakage point - you can spend $200 and worry for a new cab or get/make a soundproofing panel that is wrapped with cloth. And some panels behind the drummer to catch the "blowback" (sound going past drummer, probably striking a hard surface) can make a huge difference. It's a sound ordinance, not a "no sound law". My wooden $0.05:bassist:
  16. Broadstbully22


    Dec 5, 2011
    Sometimes my guitarists wife wants to go to bed and maybe we just want to keep playing and have some late night fun. We all run DIs and the drummer uses his electric kit and we all have in ears. We can rock as long and as loud as we want.
  17. bassgod76

    bassgod76 bass turd burglar

    Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Sound law? Semantics.

    Tomorrow, we will try an acoustic practice.
    If it was me, I'd talk to my neighbor, and work something out. We practice once a week from 6:15-8pm, sharp. Not like we're playing well into the night.

    However, he is so upset that the neighbor not only called law enforcement, but also got the HOA involved.

    Basically, he's like, "We need to go somewhere else." It's his house. I'm not going to argue with him.
  18. AgressivePassiv


    Feb 3, 2011
    My band had an issue with playing after 9pm . We all chipped in for an electric drum kit and a headphone amp, rigged it with our Mixer and DIs and now play as late as we want . That being said we much prefer practicing loudly.

    If I had to leave a practice only cab in a questionable area I'd go with the heaviest cab I could find then I'd open it up and glue a 100lb
    plate to the base. Make the crackheads work for their next fix :)
  19. AdamR

    AdamR Supporting Member

    Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Oh man HOA. He's screwed. They can make up any rule they want.
  20. Yep, although it's kinda off-topic. I never could understand why people accept HOA's. Who wants to be dictated to? "oh you can only paint your house certain colors" Or "oh you can't park your pickup truck in your own driveway"

Share This Page