Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A cab for a Gallien Krueger 700RBII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Evilash, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Evilash

Evilash

Mar 12, 2004
    I'm looking into buying a Gallien Krueger 700RBII, and was looking for some opinions on a good cab to go with it. This will be my first head+cab based amp so I'm a little confused about some of it. I'm looking to spead right around 1K total. Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. I am a Gallien-Krueger endorsee, so I know a little about GK products. Go with one of the new GK Neo cabs. They make a 1x12, 1x15, 2x12, and 4x12. Choose the config that suits you and take advantage of the GK bi-amp system. It sounds amazingly clean and articulate. You wont regret a Neo cab. Great tone, and lightweight.

3. Evilash

Evilash

Mar 12, 2004
    Thanks, I'll have to try that out next time I"m music shopping

4. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I bought the GK 115SBX and 210SBX cabs to go with my 700RB-II and have no regrets at all. The whole rig cost me a total of $1200 delivered from Riksmusic.

If you only plan to buy one cab, then you might consider the Avatar 212 that everyone is raving about.

5. Evilash

Evilash

Mar 12, 2004
    Now I"m thinking can i have one cab bi-amped and then another going out of the standard speaker jacks. I was thinking of getting The Avatar 212 first and then later getting a GK 115. Would that work. Again sorry if this is a stupid question. I haven't had any experience with this type of setup before. And thanks for the replies.

6. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I use an eden 212 xlt with my gk and it sounds great.
    Honesty, that amp will make any decent cab sound great.

danman

7. Evilash

Evilash

Mar 12, 2004
    Now since I'm only getting one cab to start with should i get a 8 omh one for future additions or just a 4 omh one? Will having a single 8 omh one mess with the sound or power any? thanks again.

8. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    You will get less power at 8 ohms.
    My eden is 4 ohms and packs enough punch. I don't plan on ever getting another cab. I think you will be suprised with the ammount of sound you can get from today's compact stand alone cabs.

By the way whats an omh?

danman

9. Evilash

Evilash

Mar 12, 2004
    Sorry typing faster than I was thinking. I knew I should have previewed that post.

But thanks for the info, that's helpful.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'm using a 4ohm Aguilar 212 with a GK 1001RB II and its a very good combination.

11. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I've gotta say Bergantino nv610, because that's what I use and love with my GK heads. That ain't gonna change anytime soon.

12. If you want just one cab, I highly recommend the GK Neo 212. It is 8 ohms, but still sounds incredible. Two of them together are just amazing.

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Daniel...any plans of a 4ohm neo 212? I heard Norm Stockton in Detroit using the neo212 and neo115, and it sounded incredible. It sounded so incredible in fact, I bought the head that Norm used.

I'm currently using an Aguilar 212 with my GK head, since it was available in a 4ohm version (I only like hauling one cabinet...OK..I don't LIKE hauling even ONE, but its better than hauling two) Anyway, if you ever come out with a 4 ohm version, put me on top of the order list.

14. hb74

hb74

Feb 21, 2003
    Italy - Lecco
    How does gk head sound with Aggie 212? Why do you plan to replace your current 212 with another cab of the same type? Just curious :)
    My rig is similar to your.

HB

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

The GK head sounds VERY good with the aggie 212. I think the aggie ads a bit of the wooly lows that the GK sound lacks. I DON'T plan on replacing the aggie, because as I said, the GK 212 NEO is not available in a 4 ohm version. If they did make one, I would buy one, and sell either the aggie, or the GK, whichever I preferred less. When I heard the GK neo cabs, they seemed to have a bit more "immediate" and punchy sound than the aggie did. The aggies seem to have a bit better low end than the GK Neo. I would almost have to hear them side be side to see which I preferred.

16. Evilash

Evilash

Mar 12, 2004
    Ok I have one more quick question. Can you only use the speakon cables when your bi-amping the 700/1001 head? Its the only thing about these heads that I can't figure out. I don't plan on bi-amping it when I get it since I'm not get a GK cab. Thanks for the help.

17. The biamp feature doesn't work with a 1/4" cable. For standard operation, you can use either a 1/4" cable or a 2 pin speakon cable. Don't use a 4 pin speakon cable with a non GK cabinet.

18. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    another vote for the Neo 212 ! HAPPENING cab!