A cab to go with a GrooveBass head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bearcubs9497, Sep 1, 2005.

1. My search for a rig is about at an end. After playing through a multitude of heads I've decided to go with the Kustom GrooveBass.

Yesterday evening, I ran a GrooveBass head through an SWR Working Pro 4x10, and was rather impressed with its sound. But, I'd like to know what other good cabinets are out there.

Any GrooveBass head owners out there have an opinion as to what cabinet I should get? Or anybody else, for that matter?
  2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

1 - What's your style of music?

2 - Do you play 5 string or drop tuning?

3 - What's you price range?

4 - You looking for a portable solution of don't mind hauling real heavy and big?
  3. Answers to your questions:

1. Pretty much everything. Blues, Pop, Rock, Prog, Classic Rock, Country, Funk.

2. As of now, I'm strictly a 4 stringer, though the idea of a 5 string intrigues me.

3. The head will run me $700, which will leave me about $800 for a cab.

4. I don't care how heavy it is, or what it looks like, just as long as it mates up well the head.
  4. Quadzilla

Stop right there, you are paying too much for your head. You can get it elsewhere for about $500 - $550 shipped give or take. PM me and I'll tell you where to go.

Avatar cabs are GREAT for the money. They seem to perform well for just about anything, but if you have $800+ to spend, you should also consider Aggie, EA, Schroeder and Berg cabs.
  5. I got my Groove Bass 1200 head shipped for $390. It was a "B" unit, but I can't tell anything wrong with it.... and besides, it still had 100% FULL WARRANTY, just like the more expensive 'brand new' units.

Do your homework... don't get suckered. PM me if you want more info about my pricing.
  6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

How is the groovebass anyway? Is it worth well over its price? I always thought it was more expensive, since it has so many watts, looks, features, etc...
  7. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Ya I've seen plenty groove basses go for 480-500$.

I would suggest a schroeder cab, you have enough for a 1212 or a 1210. It would sound great IMO.

It's also nice and mobile.

If you got a 1212 in an 8ohm version you could always add another 8 ohm 1212 to your groove bass and get some serious noise goin there.

8. Quadzilla

That $390 B stock deal was by far the best I've ever heard of! Deals like that don't come often and are few and far between. In any event, it's a great head for the money. Not much out there can compete for $500ish...
  9. Quadzilla

By the way, I know where you can get a pretty good deal on one that comes with a rack, power conditioner, pro rack tuner... Psssst, click my sig below! ;)
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nine posts in this thread, and no mention of Avatar??? What's up with that Avatar guys??? Surely you have some cab suggestions. I'll start. Get a couple 212's :D

11. I'm pretty sure the groovebass goes down to 2 ohms so a if he got 2 8ohm 1212 he would get even more noise.
  12. You can get already serious cabs with 800Euro. Can't recommend any, cause i never played cabs in that price range.
  13. I went out on ebay last night and found some GrooveBass heads for under $600. One guy was selling his for $529 with free shipping.

I'd like to pull the trigger on that, but buying from someone, sight unseen, seems a bit too trusting for me.

I did go to the Avatar web site; I was impressed by the cabinets. Avatar may be the way to go, but I'd sure like to hear what they sound like before coughing up any dough.
  14. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I'd guess Avatar can't be beat for the price, BUT....I have an acquaintance with an Avatar 4-10, and I'm less than impressed with the sound. It just seems, for lack of a better term, flat.
    It is certainly adequate, but to my ears, it lacks some low end and some punch.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    LOL.....I don't know about 2 212's, but the current killer Avatar config is a 210 w/ a 212 (both @ 4 ohms)...a 210 w/ 112 is pretty meaty as well. A 410 by itself just doesn't cut it IMO. I had one and it didn't handle my "B"

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I know a store that selling brand new in-box with factory warranty GrooveBass 1200's for around $499. PM me for info.
  17. americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    musiciansstorehouse.com. Go there and call the number they give you and tell them you heard you could get the Kustom Groove Head for $469.99. It is not on the website, but that's how I got my head. Also, I opted to get the Schroeder 1212 to match my head up with. The sound is a little different than what I was expecting, but it slices through the mix like you wouldn't believe. It also gets very loud.
  18. Well, I took today off from work to search for my rig; found it,too, though it isn't what y'all might expect.

I went to AB Stephen's music here in Huntsville, AL and they had a Peavey Pro 500 on sale for $499. I plugged it into a Pro 2x10 and a Pro 4x10 cabinet.

I must say I was taken with the sound! I ended up out of the store with the head and a Pro 4x10 cab. I'll be using it this Sunday to jam with a few friends, and will let you know how it, and I, do.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    :D ...yep, that's it. Talk to Chad, but I'm not sure if he can still do the $469...but hey $499 isn't bad, so let the stampede begin!!!
  20. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I would just like to bump my question instead of creating a new thread. Read above.