1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A call for UK professional bassists

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lord Henry, Mar 31, 2006.

1. My girl (not the song, the woman who shares my bed) works for the Musicians Benevolent Fund (MBF), a UK based charity that, err, helps professional musicians, music teachers, and those working (and I must stress WORKING) in the music industry, who find themselves in difficulty.

The organisation feels that it is seen as only for those at the classical end of music but this is simply not true. The MBF needs to reach out to, and hear from, anyone working in music in the UK. You can find their website at:

www.mbf.org.uk

If you've got any questions then PM me and I'll make sure that she sees them. Even if you have no need of them at the moment, it would still be good for her to know a few things:

* Have you heard of them before? (if so where? What was your impression?)
    * How could they make themselves known to people like you? (magazines, online groups, venues, etc.)

This is all just interest stuff at the moment, but I think they can provide a great service and I want us low enders to get in on it. You might need support from them, or you might know someone who does. I'd like to see a bit of a thread going on about this and I (and she) will keep a close eye.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Cheers.

2. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    this is a totally awesome thing dude!
    i've been aware since I joined the MU last year, after becoming Self employed, and I actually read all the gumph they sent through!!!
    All of the UK players need to know about this and should be spreading the news.
    the website sems to be aimed more at the classical end of things. Perhaps they could put an extra couple of pics in of people in a more contemporary environment or standing in front of a wall of amps or something (just an idea!!)

3. OK. I'm bumping this because it's aimed mainly at UK TBers and yet I started it at 7.30 on a Friday night ('cause that's clearly when all bassists are sat in frount of there computers. dumb ass).

Hopefully a few more of you will see it this time. I really do think the MBF is worth checking out and it would be great to hear from a few of you.

Cheers

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I was under the impression my MU subs included a donation to the MBF. Am I wrong?

BTW, Henry, great sig!

5. Ahh, this is a common misconception. The MU actually has its own benevolent fund which is there for the benefit of MU members only. It is this fund that a portion of you subs are going into.

The MBF is a totally separate entity and you do not need to be a member to benefit from them.

Hope that clears things up.

Cheers