1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Capo On A Bass Guitar...What Gives?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by witness66, Jun 25, 2016.

1. witness66

witness66

May 25, 2016
    Miami, Florida
    Music: Afro-Cuban. I have never seen a capo on an electric bass before. Have I've been living under a rock? Have you used one before?

_

30yobass and Bulltrout like this.
  2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

It's not common, but I've messed about with it a bit. In short, it gives you something other than E, A, D or G to pedal or drone off of.

I purchased a "Spider Capo" with big plans for Manring-esque mid-song tuning changes, but in the end didn't end up bonding with it.

Not my bass, just a pic I found with Google:

spidercapo_mini.

MYLOWFREQ and gebass6 like this.
  3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Also, that's possibly not a capo in the vid. I can't really tell, but it looks like it might just be a mute of some sort. Some fusion guys use hair bands and such to keep open strings from ringing when playing complex parts. It doesn't look like it's positioned close enough to the fret to be a capo.

EDIT: Yep, I just got to the end of the vid. It's not a capo but a mute. Watch the way he slides it down at the very end.

Rob22315, MCF, Jhengsman and 5 others like this.
  4. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Looks like a fret wrap for sure. I have a few for my basses but I barely use them. I just worked really hard on the floating thumb.

Forget that players name but he's an LA dude. Really great player.

Camaro, MCF and gebass6 like this.
  5. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    My capos don't fit on my five string. Sux.

6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I tune DGCF so capo up to EADG for a couple tunes that are a real beach to play without the proper open strings. Plus extra points for freaking out the gui****s for both the tuning and capoing :D.

7. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    That's not a capo. Buy if it was, so what? Capos work great on bass, very useful accessory.

Honch, Ikkir, Remyd and 3 others like this.
  8. I used the capo for awhile, however, in using it my "landmark dots" were not in the same places and some time in mid song I would get confused. So I felt it was not worth the confusion it caused and no longer use a capo.

bassbully and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  9. witness66

witness66

May 25, 2016
    Miami, Florida
    So, what capo brand would you recommend for my bass?

10. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Exactly, the capo doesn't change the "landmarks" on the fretboard. So, for example, the double-dot at the 12th fret shows where the notes EADG are, and then you put a capo at the 2nd fret, the double-dot at the 12th fret still shows where the notes EADG are. Nothing changed. :)

I like the "quick change" design, like this: Kyser Quick-Change Capo 6-String

Honch and MTFD24 like this.
  11. Lejdestad

Lejdestad

Aug 13, 2015
    That's Jayme Lewis on bass, and it's not a capo, that's a gruvgear fretwrap :)

12. witness66

witness66

May 25, 2016
    Miami, Florida
    Are there capos especially designed for basses? just curious.

13. I use a Kyser capo on my 4 and 5 string basses, it can be a real life saver.

Honch likes this.
  14. ofajen

ofajen

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    Yes. And I made a fret wrap using a bit of Velcro and a short section of a craft stick hot glued on the outside to keep even force on all four strings.

Otto

15. postalflunkie

postalflunkie Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Westerville, Ohio
    Used one when I played in the church folk group, they would chang keys all the time. I used a Shubb capo for 12 string guitar.

Honch and MTFD24 like this.
  16. Been thinking about doing this myself, but specifically for a few songs that are Drop D... Have you ever tried only using it on the three highest strings, but leaving the low D alone?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, I have very little experience with a capo.

17. MTFD24

MTFD24

Jan 15, 2014
    Our Praise team changes keys constantly, and sometimes just before service. Capo time, no transposing, just play and worship!

Honch and Mushroo like this.
  18. witness66

witness66

May 25, 2016
    Miami, Florida
    Can you place a fret wrap between the bridge and second pick up (on the strings of course) w/o messing up the sound/tone? Dummy question I know...I mean doesn't the wrap get in the way of your playing if it is placed on the fretboard itself? I feel like a dunce asking this question...sorry. Well...?

19. ofajen

ofajen

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    Up by the bridge it will function as a mute since it always affects the sounding part of the string. Up by the nut (or capo) it dampens the non-sounding strings to clean up the output, while only affecting the sounding tone of open string notes, and only slightly if tension is right and placement is close to the end.

Actually my most common use of the damper is on electric guitar to tap parts similar to what I used to play on the Stick, which has a damper glued under the strings up by the nut, and on which open notes are essentially a special effect.

Otto

Honch and Mushroo like this.
  20. Smoove-Groove

Smoove-Groove We've got bush, We've got bush!

Jun 18, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Pauland4001recordingDayTripperzoomed.