A case of Bubonic plague in NYC

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Nov 7, 2002.

1. The first thing I hear at 6 O'clock this morning is that there is a case (possibly two) of bubonic plague here in New York City. :eek:

It seems that a guy and his wife who come from New Mexico apparantly caught it from infected mice on their farm, and now they're here.

First case in NYC in 100 years.

Then, they say that it is not very contageous. :confused:

If it's not very contageous, what killed a third of Europe in the 14th century? I haven't had time to research this on the web yet, but, could someone please clear this up?

I be confused. Hopefully there'll be more info later in the day.

Mike J.
  2. Very bad hygiene. The disease is spread by fleas; presumably, most New Yorkers bathe daily, so those shouldn't be a problem.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Also, when the infection reaches the lungs, it's spread much, much faster via coughing and sneezing (pneumonic form).
    Bubonic form spreads slower.
  4. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Yeah, I heard that on the radio today as well...I will definatly keep an ear out for more info.
  5. well, we can cure it nowadays, so it's nothing to worry about.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Check THIS LINK out, very interesting new research.
  7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Yee-haw...I was vaccinated against it.
  8. Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    There's about 10 to 20 cases annually in the US. Particularly in the west. Over half of the cases are usually in New Mexico. It is a bacterial infection caused from fleas that feast on rats, then bite a human. The other way it spreads is if you directly inhale the droplets of an infected persons sneeze. I believe rats are carriers. Antibiotics clear up the majority of cases. High fever and extreme exhaustion are symptoms.
  10. mad_world

Nov 3, 2002
    Bubonic is not very contagious it's just whenever it happend i think the 14th century im not really sure they were very unsanatery and had rats all over the place that spread it like a wildfire. The only way it can be passed from human to human (communable disease) is if it spreads to the lungs then they sneeze, cough, Share food etc but, i wouldnt listen to the news for the sheer fact they are controled by the goverment.
  11. Only the pneumonic form is spread from coughing and sneezing. The kind these people have is not THAT bad and eayser to treat.

The wild dogs out there all have it, its like a sign of manlee-ness.