1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A case of mistaken identity...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by txbasschik, Apr 22, 2009.

1. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    So, my husband and I were at our local bar doing karaoke. A good friend of ours has a small karaoke and comedy show...very fun, non-competitive, no divas. I use it as a fun way to road-test the vocals on cover tunes I'd like to do.

So, I'm singing Janis Joplin's "Down On Me", and it came off great, and I decide it'll go in our band's set. I'm coming off stage, and this guy runs up..."Oh, I have loved you since forever! You are so awesome! I think your voice is just so beautiful!!! I come to all your shows!"

Well! I don't remember this guy from anywhere, so I ask him where he knows me from. He called me by the name of the lead singer from my old band...the one that fired me last summer. Then he looked at my face and said, "Oh...I thought you were someone else." "Yeah, man...I used to play bass for her."

Cue Twilight Zone music!!!

Must get rid of all the blonde from my hair so that will never happen again!

Cherie

2. Ouch, I hate it when that happens.

3. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Yikes!!

4. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    It's bad when that happens, but when they think your someone you dislike.........Ouch! On the bright side he mistook your singing for a lead vocalist. Congrats!

Cheers,
    Jim

5. I have a similar problem in that I'm very recognizable, and I have a fairly unique name so I meet a lot of people for maybe a minute or two at a show and i'll see them four or five months later and they expect me to remember them. It's happened about two dozen times and it took a while for me to figure out a way to let them know diplomatically that I had no clue who they were or how we met. Awkward situation.

6. Could have been worse, you could have been mistaken for a gui****.

7. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    Now THAT is funny. What a twist of fate.

8. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I was! She sings *and* plays. OMG!!!

Something like this has happened before, but the person making the error was reeeeeeeeeally drunk. She mistook me for a flute player. Who looks nothing like me, and was onstage, playing, at the time. She insisted on buying me a drink for my great flute playing, and after the third time of saying, "But that's not me. That chick is onstage, playing!", I figured...what the heck. Yeah, sure, buy me a drink! I'm such a good flautist, I can play and go offstage for a shot at the same time! LOL!

Cherie :D

9. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Odd thing is, the dude wasn't drunk, and I look *nothing* like my old singer.

She's about 5'9" tall, milky-fair skin, super-curly strawberry blonde, green eyes, and a double-D rack.

I'm 5'4" in my shoes, brown with blonde highlights, golden skinned, blue eyes, and I run a B cup on my fat days.

I must have been screaming too much when I sang. :ninja: ;) :bag:

10. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Yeah, I found it to be pretty hi-larious! Our jam leader nearly fell off his bar stool from laughing.

I wonder what will happen when I bring that song into our band's set? :D

Cherie

11. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    you will rock it! that song kicks @$$. if you can sing it, more power to ya!

:bassist::bassist::bassist:

12. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Thanks! I sure hope so. The bass line is easy, and I've played it before, for someone else to sing. Its putting the vocals with the bass and not screwing up either one that will be the challenge. But so worthwhile! People went *nuts* for the song at the karaoke show, and if I can play it, too? They'll lose their entire minds. ;)

Cherie :bassist: :hyper:

13. Hutch1

Hutch1

Mar 19, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Maybe she had one too many Jonestown Koolaids? (You should have autographed her shirt, "Ian Anderson.")

14. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Nah...it was Jaeger. Lots and lots of Jaeger. She got kinda mad when I didn't want Jaeger.

Yes, I should have!!! She'd have probably awakened the next morning, looked at her shirt and said, "WhoTF is Ian Anderson?"

LOL!

15. mightypog

mightypog

Apr 21, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Not the same band as the wedding-jam dilemma?! BTW, what did you end up doing? Or is that still coming up? And is there a women in bass club? If not, should there not be? So far we got two....

16. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Yep, the very same singer from the very same band. Toooooo funny!!!

The wedding is two weeks from today. I'll give a full report, of course. LOL!

Actually, there are a number of women in here. I can think of at least a half-dozen more, straight off. Start a club thread, if you like. It'd be interesting to see how many of us there actually are.

Cherie

17. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009
    You should have told him that your old lead singer was lip syncing to YOUR recorded tracks. Yeah she had the prescence but she really just couldn't sing. lol

18. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I think I know the flute chick you're talking about. Does she have blonde curly hair and scary grey death eyes that are always wide open? I think her name is Kat, or something.

She creeps me out.

19. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    singing bass players are always mighty impressive.

female singing bass players covering janis?

lordy-loo, bring the house down, cherie!

20. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Yep. That's her. She *is* creepy. And not a good player, imo. Or singer, for that matter.

Hubby used to be in a band with her. They were a really good band. Her performance took away from the overall effect, to where I couldn't stand to listen. And he couldn't stand to play with her. So...he's out now. Thank God.

Cherie