Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A caution to those considering SWR gear...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Nov 11, 2005.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I have owned 3 SWR speaker cabinets in the past, and currently use an SWR Goliath Sr. as my main cab. On August 20th, I realized that the top two speakers had blown, and dropped them off at the local SWR repair place to be reconed.

I was just notified TODAY that the recone kits shipped from Fender / SWR.

That's almost three months later. :mad:

Before the Fender buyout, I blew a 15" speaker in a Triad, and it took no longer than a week to have the recone kit delivered.

Absolutely unacceptable. :scowl: As soon as it gets fixed, I'm selling it.

2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I had service done at SWR before the buyout several years ago with a SM400S that needed some work. The thing was on the bench fixed and back in a week. Sorry to hear the new SWR/Fender is operating differently. I don't think I'd sell my cab for that reason alone if I really LIKED the cabinet, but I can totally see your viewpoint.

3. Hmmm. Maybe you need to get a different SWR repair shop...
    I've had places that just drag their feet, especially if they're busy with other gear before you...

Probably not the case if you know these guys well, but just a thought. Bummer about the wait, but, I agree with "tonenazi", if you've been happy with the cabs, then I'd make up my mind about selling it after your temp cools a little. Sounds like this is the first time it's happened, and if you don't know why, yet, you should find out before getting a new cab; it's a real bummer if it happens again with something new! :scowl: Good luck!

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    The repair shop is definitely not the problem: they're guys I trust, and I have been calling every 3 days or so regardless.

Apparently every SWR or Fender repair part has been taking this long to get to this shop for the past half of a year. One guy that works there said that it took 6 months to get a recone kit for his 15" SWR speaker.

Maybe it's just because I live in the "flyover." I bet people in Cali don't have this much trouble getting parts.

Regardless, I'd much rather be playing a pair of GS112s anyways. :)

5. Well, I live in Northern California and have my own horror stories with SWR repair (that weren't directly the fault of SWR). This was all pre-buyout though... it's too bad to hear you're having issues direct with SWR now.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Getting fast replacement speakers or kits is the reason I discontinued using Hartke as well.

With Aguilar, I had it in my hands on day TWO. That's the kind of service I need since I gig every weekend and can't have me gear sitting idle waiting for parts.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Yes, this is exactly what I want. I call, I pay, I have the replacement part asap. I have probably played 40 shows on my 6x10 turned 4x10, and that's bullshizzy. I even asked SWR if they could just sell me a new speaker, and they said that I'd have to go through an authorized repair depot. My band is on tour full-time. I don't have time to deal with this crap. :mad:

8. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    the longer it sits, the more likely you are to not have your gear, and the greter liklihood you are to buy something in the meantime.

i bet a recone is practically a zero profit and LOW income sale. a new fender product on teh other hand is a real sale.

i bet repairs auotomatically take low prioroty as a directive from the corporate office.

coupled with the time it takes to integrate new products (swr) into fender inventory, and i bet thats the double wammy.

f fender and f swr. buy something from one fo the new boutique guys , the guys who really really care about their work. each cab counts for them. I bet thereis some quality invovled as well.

i am not buying a new cab until i can afford a berg/accu/acme/schro/ or ??? . until then i will get by in my older stuff or build one.

9. I had a MAJOR problem with $WR customer support about a year before the buyout. I figured buying 2 pro series $WR amps and a pro series cab would at least warrant decent treatement- but they cost me a lot of money I shouldn't have had to have spent and a lot of headaches I shouldn't have had to had.

I think it was last year or the year before (after the buyout) I needed a 10 reconed, there was no recone kit available- Fender's answer: buy a new speaker.

I still like the cabs, the head is still not up to what I would assume is a standard for a flagship model of what was a premium brand. :scowl:

10. that's good to know. I own a Goliath SR. and never had problems with it but I definitely will not be getting a SWR cab in the future...

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    When it comes to doing a recone you've got two suppliers: the amp manufacturer and whoever he gets his parts from. Even if that's Eminence no manufacturer is going to call and order one recone kit, he'll wait until he needs fifty. If it isn't Eminence but a Far East source you have to add another month for shipping.

Most professional reconers deal direct with either the driver factory or a cone supplier. They don't have to use OEM parts to get OEM performance, and they will order one cone at a time. Keep that in mind next time around.

12. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Not surprising at all if it has anything at all to do with Fender. Worst customer service I have ever encountered for ANYTHING!

Bought a brand new Fender acoustic bass, after having it for about a week I noticed the piezo wasn't working properly so I took it back to the shop I bought it from since they said that they would contact Fender and get it repaired. Long story short, I waited for a little over 6 months for Fender to send the guitar shop the part. I'll NEVER buy another new Fender product...NEVER!

13. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That's sad to hear. I have used a lot of SWR in the past. To bad Fender has ruined them.

It doesn't matter how goo dor bad your product is if CS sucks.

14. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

I own a buncha SWR stuff and I got lots of help before the buyout. The free kind of help too. They emailed drawings and I spoke with engineering and lots of stuff like that.
    Once Fender took over they moved my contacts to other divisions and replaced them with idiots. Now it is like pulling teeth...painful and time consuming.

Golden Boy, you may have a set up issue with your SWR amp tops, I had to throw away SWR's set up suggestions in order to make mine really rock. Email /PM me if you wanna know how.

15. Nope.

:mad:

My daughter's bassist (www.aroarah.com) had her SWR 2002 head in the main repair facility in Los Angeles and it took them MONTHS to repair her head.

"We have so much business we don't need yours."
    -today's corporate vision statement

16. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Welcome to Fender "customer service". It's not SWR it's Fender. I ordered a Marcus Miller V and it took about 1 year to get here (never got it, I gave up). I know of many unbelieveable stories with their "customer service"

17. e.maynard

e.maynard

Nov 11, 2004
    Afton, Virginia

What kind of power (or lack thereof) are you running to your cabs? Blowing one driver sounds like mechanical failure. Cooking three in 2 different cabs sounds like something ain't right at the amp........