1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Challenge for an Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fishstix, Apr 29, 2009.

1. fishstix

fishstix

Feb 28, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I'm not sure if this exists but I thought I'd put it out there as a challenge for those more informed than me.

With price not being an issue, I'm looking for (a) cabinet/s that will fit in a 20"x18"x18" space, have enough output to accommodate everything from small bar gigs with no pa support to large outdoor festivals, and be tonally flexible. As if that's not restricting enough, I would like no piece of the rig to be more than 40 lbs.

More than likely, I will be powering the rig with a LMII (which I already have). Right now I'm using a Schroeder 21012R and like it a lot. However, I need to go a bit smaller and considerably lighter.

The reason for this change is partially the wear and tear on me with 2-3 gigs a week and greatly due to a car seat being added to my car that is a pain to take in and out.

My small rig right now is a Markbass CMD 121P. It's great but the horn drives me nuts during slap stuff. I'm willing to compromise occasionally to gain the portability but I don't want it to define "my" sound. Plus, it's definitely not powerful enough to handle all my needs.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks ahead of time.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Would you like bikini-clad angels come down from the heavens and imbue you with the power of Odin, too?

Come on, let's get back to the real world a little. Nothing on earth is going to do what you want. You're lucky you've got the LMII.

BTW, adding a treble cut with the VLE goes a long way for taming down that tweeter.

3. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Come on, dude! Man up and carry the load! :D

Seriously, though.. I used to gig 4-7 nights a week for almost 2 years with a loud-ass band. This meant bringing the following:

Ashdown ABM 500RC EVO II
    ABM 210T
    ABM 410T
    Two basses (one fretted/one fretless)
    Stand, cables, etc.

I used to have to fit all of that stuff in a SAAB 9-3 convertible. There was only one way to get it all in, and one way to get it all out.

1) Put the top down and fold down the rear seat.
    2) Lay ABM 4X10" on folded down seat. Put top back up.
    3) Open trunk. Fold top storage compartment up into the rear deck. Put ABM 2X10", ABM head, and stands, cables, etc. in trunk.
    4) Put 1 bass behind front seats, in front of 4X10".
    5) Scoot & recline passenger seat as far back as it goes, put other bass in passenger seat. Try not to damage headliner with said bass in passenger seat.
    6) Drive to gig.
    7) Unload everything in exact reverse order, or start all over again.

Great tone/volume rarely is convenient or light. For me, convenience never took priority over sounding the way I wanted to.

Just my .02 :D

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Dr. Bass's 1260 might be the ticket for you, with a Kl3012LF -
    http://drbasscabs.com/3-way___LF_cabinets.html

20.75" high by 17.5" deep by 16.25" wide. 3/4" off, but I bet it'd do.

If you get it at 4 ohms it should be sufficiently loud enough with the LM II's 500 watts -- probably get up to 118-120db or so I'd guess. Probably 3db less at 8 ohms.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nice looking cab...would seriously doubt it could hang at an outdoor festival with no PA unless it was a small one.

6. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, to be honest I think you're right that nothing is going to do big outdoor festivals by itself at 20x18x18 <40lbs.

You could try putting a KL 3015 (not lf) in a box that sized (about 2.6cf internal I'd guess). I'd expect it to have a good sized low mid hump, but it'd probably get pretty darned loud.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That Schroeder cab you have is already quite awesome.

8. fishstix

fishstix

Feb 28, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, I know it's a long shot but with the crazy stuff that's coming out for gear all the time now ya never know.

I have tried the VLE to tame the highs on the 121P but it seems to cut other frequencies out that I'd like to keep. I like highs, I'm just not crazy about the way that horn delivers them.

I saw the 1260 and it looked like a contender but I don't have a way to try before buying and I think I read somewhere that there's a long wait for the Dr. Bass cabs. I'd like to get this addressed as quick as possible.

As for the outdoor festivals, those would be with major PA support but the stages can be quite large and I tend to move around a lot. Thus, it would have to carry across the stage well as I rarely like the monitor mix for my bass.

I was also thinking about the Schroeder 15+L but I'm not sure about the tone working with what I'm used to or the outdoor capabilities.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, I hear you. Not having an attenuator is a bummer. But I have a theory about that...I once pulled the tweeter and crossover and ran it with just the speakers (voids the warranty...not recommended...shhhhh!), and there is almost no high end to speak of out of the woofer. So I think the tweeter's louder to make up for it. That's my theory, anyway.

I must say, though, that at age 47, I just dropped the small stuff in favor of a vintage SVT/810. The tone in the small stuff is just fine, but they can't defeat the laws of physics, and the tone I get is so worth it to me that I actually enjoy moving it again after 11 years of downsizing. There's just nothing like big cabs to move air and sound big. In a PA situation, you'll probably be fine, but if you want to use your rig as a monitor onstage and you want it to sound big, you have to go big. Or at least medium big.

10. fishstix

fishstix

Feb 28, 2006
    Wisconsin
    That's good to know. I had thought about trying that. You just saved me the effort.

I agree with this totally. That's why I still have my SVT and 810 sitting around as well. However, I rarely take it now as many of my gigs have me parking and walking a block or more and/or awkward load in situations. With that said, I LOVE having that rig behind me. It puts a huge smile on my face. Not to mention, chicks dig it :bassist:, I mean my wife likes it.;)

11. fishstix

fishstix

Feb 28, 2006
    Wisconsin
    As much of a wuss as it makes me sound, a big part of this is hating that darn car seat. Taking that sucker in and out stinks. I was quite content with the constant loading of gear until that part was added. I'd just like to leave it in and pack around it.

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    That is indeed a problem. It can be a pain in the arse to get a car seat installed. If your car has LATCH, then it is a more straightforward installation, but still a chore. I have had to come up with some creative work-arounds, and of course having smaller gear is an obvious solution.

13. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    What about a Schroeder 1212L? Thats about the only small 4 ohm cab I know that might get loud enough for everything you want to do.

(edit)I see the 1212L is 23" long. I guess that's 3" longer than you want. Never mind.

14. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Maybe you could get a Dr. Bass 1260 designed so that you could fit it in the carseat itself and strap it in :)

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    IMO - completely unrealistic demands... Closest you're going to find might be the Bag End D10-X-D which is slightly larger than your size limit and 30 lbs heavier. You will be happy tonally though. Not much else in that size range delivers the goods as that cab can. If the car seat is really that big an issue - maybe you need to consider a larger vehicle ... that or scale back the performance requirements on the cab...

16. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
  17. fishstix

fishstix

Feb 28, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, I didn't think that I was going to find something fitting those requirements but I'm only a bit smarter than the average bear. Thus, I was hoping those more informed might have an idea.

As far as changing vehicles, I'm quite happy with the car I have and it's cheaper to buy new gear, even at some of the highest price points. However, it is something my wife and I are discussing.

Regarding the cart, I have one and it works very well (although not that brand) but it doesn't solve the space restrictions of my vehicle. It also doesn't help the awkward lift in and out of my hatchback. However, my cart does make it a single trip in and out of most places even with our basic lighting set up for small clubs.

I did just come across the Schroeder 1215L which looks like it may come VERY close to my needs. It's just 3.5 inches too much in one dimension. However, I may be able to work with that given the other smaller than required dimensions. I'll have to mock one up with some cardboard. The 1212L was also a good suggestion that I'll have to consider.

Any other thoughts? TB users are always so willing to help out.
    Thanks.