A cheap bass to learn to slap on.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cochise, Mar 17, 2005.

1. I can play fingerstyle pretty well, but I haven't ventured into the world of slappin' and poppin' yet. My wife just bought me the Ed Friedland DVD, but I don't really have a bass that's set up/suitable for playing slap on (I have a P-Bass and a Warwick Corvette 5). I initially don't want to spend too much money, mainly 'cos I haven't got much at the moment! I was looking at SX basses but I can't find anyone in my area that stocks them. So any other suggestions, or should I drop the action on the Warwick and try to learn on a 5er? ( the 2 things with this being that 1. all the exercises on the DVD are on a 4 string and 2. The string spacing on the 'vette is fairly small for my sausage fingers)
  2. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Check out Brices or Cort Curbows.

Edit: It all depends on your price range tho.

You can get decent slap tones out of a passive bass, but IMO something with active electronics will get you there faster. Don't get me wrong, I love a bass with passive electronics, but actives have more flavor.
  3. I am in the same boat as you. I am moving to a four right now to learn it. Since it has the wide spacing for my long fingers I am looking for a workhorse 4 string to be my main slapper and use a nice 6 string for fingerstyle
  4. I have a Cort Curbow and the electronics are great for slap, but the body doesnt feel good for slaping. I would probably suggest an OLP MM2 because they are cheap and good quality except they dont have active electronics. Ohh and another thing about Cort Curbows, they are cheap used, but not new.
    PS. I could sell you a Cort Curbow :D
  5. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I recently picked up a Spector Legend 4 and it has nice tone. $499 delivered, tho.
  6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    OLP, lots of space to slap on... new ones have to be under $250
  7. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Good call J-Raj! I forgot about OLP's.
  8. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I know some like to learn slap on a four (which I did.) You may find it easier to learn on a 5. I found it to be somewhat difficult to transition from slapping on a 4 to a 6. This way, if you end up slapping on a 4 at some point, you will have more room. On the other hand, if you go to a 6, you will be able to adjust to the smaller spacing quicker. Plus, it doesn't get any cheaper if you already own it. :)

The P will work fine, too. You may not get the slap tone you are looking for, but it will do the job as-far-as learning the technique.
  9. deftim69

Jun 11, 2003
    I would have to say a MTD is a great bass to learn on. I bought a 4 stringer for $245 on ebay about a year ago. I did the same thing you are doing. I bought it to beat the crap out of it and not have to worry about it.
  10. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Hmm, I really like my P bass for slap-and-pop. But then again, I've never played that style on any other bass.
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It will help if you'll fill out your profile so we know what your area is!

Any cheap Jazz Bass copy is going to be good for this. A passive Jazz Bass with both pickups maxed out sounds fantastic for slapping. I'd recommend if you're in the USA and can do mail order, that you go for an Essex. Make sure you get it set up and fresh (stainless steel) strings.
  12. OK, fair comment about the profile so I've done that. I think I'll have another go with my Corvette, but I can still see me buying something else to learn on. Is it possible I could damage the fretboard of the Corvette by playing it with a bad technique? Thanks for all the replies, you guys (and gals) are great. I wonder if I'll get more replies than one of NickTheBassists threads...NAH!!!
  13. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The corvette is a great slap bass. You don't need a seperate bass for slap. If you can slap one bass, you can slap'em all.
  14. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Nope. You should be fine.
  15. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine