Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Cheap but Reliable 100-150W amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FenderBassMan10, Nov 28, 2004.

1. I have a Fender BXR Twenty-Five and it can barely be heard over the drummer, you can really only hear the rumbling through the floor.
    I was looking at the Fender Rumbleman 100 becuase its cheap. What do you guys think?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    here's my take on minimum amplification for bass

click here

of course, your income and situation may get in the way of all of that. If you can bring someone with you who knows what to look for, used gear is alays an option, combos or full setups

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ampeg B100r.

4. describe the "hartke" sound

5. Don't worry about my remark about hartke sound. Many say it is overly bright. But you can tame that with the eq. With small amps, you need to be heard and, if possible, felt. So if you have the funds for the ashdown, get that. If you have the funds for the Hartke, get that.

If you want used, get FIGJAM's Ampeg Rocketbass B100R for 250 or wahtever he will sell it to you for. That is an awesome amp-tone to die for, especially if you like Fender style basses. New, they costs $500.

The ashdown is more of a "warmer" sound. I have had the 12" version and was totally impressed with its cost-weight-sound performance.

6. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Ampeg B100R

SWR Workingman 12

7. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    supported by Hipshot, Diamond strings and Clayton picks
    Yorkville XM200. (loud for the size)
    Kick AS# amp for $400-$450

8. EddieS

EddieS

Feb 27, 2003
    Toronto
    Hey, I own a Fender BXR 25 myself, and I'll warm you, I thought a Rumble 100 would be the answer to some more volume with the same fender tone, but the bxr it seems has a VERY colorfull preamp. The rumble seemed flat to me, make sure any amp you're considering you try, a lot, amps after bxr can seem dull.

9. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Might you be interested in purchasing a Fender BXR 200 combo? $250 and it's yours. Good condition, 250 watts, 1x15.

10. It sounds like an awesome deal, but at the moment I can't afford it. sorry

11. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    I don't know that you're going to find anything under $250 that will be heard over a drummer and a guitar. SamAsh had the Hartke 1400 for $99 delivered, but they're all gone, though they've already turned up on eBay.

12. Well the B-100R is great for vintage basses, like your '73 P. I would not sell it. Did somebody give it to you or did you buy it?

13. I bought it at Mars Music, right before they went out of buisness.

14. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Great amp, i had one always around for 5 years,built like a tank, if 100 W is enough for you, you cant go wrong with this amp.

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Uh...that would only be 200w! It's damned loud though. I owned one for a while.

16. well you have good taste. i though you recived it as a gift because you were asking about selling it and now you are looking for budget combos.

I was thinking that if somebody near and dear gave it to you I would not sell. Makes the equation tougher on whether to sell if somebody gives you something really nice like a vintage P bass. You should get the B-100R. But damn that thing is heavy.

17. Is it really that good? You sound like you love the thing. 100 watts would last me for a few years. I just have to save up for it. Right now i have like 80$, all that could get me is a pocket amp.

18. Well buying a pocket amp will make the wait longer to get a real amp-one that keeps up with a live drum set.

You need to turn your negative into a positive. You do not need an amp to do what is the most important element to laying the groove: your playing. I would be practicing your axx off. Books, videos cd's what whatever it takes. The time you put into this will pay off in dividens. When I bought my beat up acoustic tacoma, I played that thing all the time becasue I kept it in arm's reach at all times. I took lessons with it. And when you are unamplified, your technique improves. It doesn't seem like it, but wait til you finally plug in! You will have a revelation.

I don't know what your playing situation is but you can always play directly into the PA and just stand next to the monitor until if there is a PA. Ditto if you have a keyboard player.

When you get about 250, you should be able to get a decent amp used.