Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A cheap Stingray??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kickemout, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Hi, I was at my local music store today and i saw a stingray bass there. Upon futher inspection i noticed it didn't have the standard headstock. the words were gone and there was just a logo there which seemed familar. I looked at the price tag which said $795 (Australian) I asked the guy about it and he said it was made by ernie ball and that it was essentually the same bass but with out actives or the seymore duncan p/u but that it would only cost about $500 to get them put in.

Does any one know if this bass pretty much the same or a epiphone to gibson style thing??

2. Maybe an OLP. OLP is the cheaper new model that musicman endorses... it is supposedly fairly good. Worth a play for sure..

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Yeah its an OLP bass for sure. They are decent basses for the price. But they aren't stingrays. For the price however they are pretty darn good. I played a few a couple of weeks ago. I like them, but they just don't do anything for me. ;)

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That price seems high, even in "Aussie Lira".

Here in the US, a "real" Stingray is around $1200 in most stores, and an "OLP" Stingray (the one you're asking about) is about $250.

I would think an OLP should be about A$450-A$500... but I could be wrong.

The one I played was decent enough, about like a Squier - and priced about the same.

5. Thanks guys - it is the olp.

With the price remark guitars are **** expensive down here. i think is cos of shipping or just cos they can charge alot. MM Ray is about $3500 so thats a big difference even at 50c US to one Aus $.

6. Strange.. the tag really says " OLP stingray "

7. 3500 aussie dollas for a singray????????

HOLY SH--!!!!!!!!!!!!! That translates to roughly $1800 american. Who in their right minds would pay $1800 for a Stingray? I personally love stingrays but would NEVER pay that much for one.

I can't believe they are charging that much. That might be a similar thing to how Warwick can afford to use so much wenge in their basses; they can import wenge (a rarer wood than people realize) for cheaper than the United States can.

8. That difference applies to most basses. the solution is to take your guitar offer to the us in a case buy the new one and bring that back in its place.

Ps the rope is no longer tied around mumia's neck - he's of death row. WAHOO!!