A choice between 3 pedals and im un sure of what to get?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Marson, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Ok these are 3 wah pedals and I am un sure of what to get one of the is a Snarling dogs super ball Whine-o-wah the next one is a Crybaby 105Q wah and the Last is a Ibanez Weeping Demon wah, now i dont know what would be best I play in a metal band and i do solo and im also loud in the mix , but i also like to use it at home or for fun anywhere for other things besides metal ,such as jazz , funk and just boredom jamming any ideas and if so any help will be greatly appreciated , thank you in advanced. P.s can you also give a description of the sound its gives and , if its true by pass , if its sturdy and etc etc... thanx again.
  2. so basically you have a choice between a wah i heard would break down and become a paperweight (bass playing peer had one), the 105Q, and a guitar wah. I choose the 105Q
  3. ok just to be clear which is the paper weight and the guitar wah?
  4. the ibanez is the guitar wah. snarling dogs is the paperweight.
  5. ok well couldnt u use a guitar wah specially if it doesn't loss any bottom end, and why is snarling dogs a paperweight?
  6. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    He said that one of his colleague's broke down.
  7. ya but that could a number of things, droped it kicked it too hard could have been faulty.
  8. he said he didn't use it too much and was easy on it, so i'm guessing it was crap wiring
  9. crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    the weeping demon sounds great with a bass, as does the 105Q (seeing as it's a bass wah!)

don't forget that Cliff used a guitar wah!!!
  10. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I used a Morley Pro Series II (guitar wah) for the longest time. Then I sold it, and bought the 105Q. It's a great sounding wah pedal. Kind of expensive though.

11. ok so weve eliminated the snarling dogs so what would i go for the 105Q or weeping demon, what are th pros and cons of these pedals? Graeme you might wanna enlighten me what do you like and dislike about your pedal? and anyone who has a weeping demon os has played them please do the same thanx....
  12. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Well I can't tell you what the 105q is exacly like, I have the Dimebag version of the 535q. Mine is built like a tank and the 105 should be no different.

I actually returned my Weeping Demon for the Dimebag because the damn switch broke :mad: Managed to get a peak at the switch and the thing seemed sooo small and flimsy compared to the dunlop.

Another advantage with dunlop stuff is the fact that it's true bypass.

the only dis-advantage to the dunlop is that it's exclusivly switchless whereas the Demon can do both.
  13. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Check out a Rocktron Black Cat Moan. Great wah for hard/heavy music.
  14. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    For the record, many people would call the switchless design a huge advantage. It's one of the reasons I bought it.

15. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    I was just comparing the two.

god knows I'd love it if the Dimebag wah was switchless sometimes too!
  16. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Heh, no offense intended or anything.

Does the Dime wah sound okay with bass? I know it sounds awesome on guitar...

17. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    It sounds GREAT as a wah. You can even get that really abrupt sound al-la Cliff Burton on Anethisia even with a clean signal.

The only reason I don't use it on bass anymore is that the lowest heel freq setting is 250 Hz. Because I was trying to use it as a lowpass filter (heel), a wah (rocking) and a treble booster (by leaving it toe'd) that turned into a major problem. I'm thinking that a 10 band EQ would help bring back the low-end loss at the heel position and allow me to use it as I want. The reason I'm considering using a 10-band is cause of the preciseness of haveing more than one band (ie. bass knob on an amp) below the 250 Hz threshold. Then I could ramp the EQ down as I approched the 250 Hz freq.

A little side info on how I got to wanting a wah that could do so much is because I like having a solid low end with no treble but with a healthy dose of mids and bass for the majority of my playing but for fills and small solo chunks I'd love to be able to jolt up the treble. I hoped a wah could give me both and have the plesent "side effect" of being able to smoothly shift between the two states :rolleyes: . I acctually like using a "reverse" (strike note when toe'd, then move to heel) wah type of thing and have wrote a few ends to intros based around that idea.

Wow. After typing all that out I acctually think that a 10 band may be my solution for lack of wah.....

anyone else think so???? (sorry to hijack...)
  18. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Look into the MXR Ten Band EQ. It sounds awesome, so many tonal options. Built like a tank, true bypass, etc. It took me ten minutes of using one to decide I needed it. Oh, and when it's turned on, all of the sliders light up, for quick changes on stage. When it's off, just the Volume and Gain sliders stay on, and they flash your signal is reaching the clipping point.

19. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    The MXR is the only one I'd consider!!!!!

The Dime CryBaby not only made me realize what great stuff Dunlop makes but it totally turned me off of digital stuff. The damn thing kicks my Boss V-Wah's @$$ :eek:

BTW BassGod do you think that the 10 band would help the wah become what I want of it????
  20. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Definatley. That's pretty much what I'm gonna use it for. I just can't wait for it to arrive!

I agree about Dunlop products. I can't imagine anyone ever breaking an MXR pedal.