1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Classical Exercise Experiment (bass and sax duet). Comments appreciated!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by TFunkadelic, Apr 18, 2010.

1. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    http://soundcloud.com/tfunkp/ferling-study-twenty-four

Just recorded this quick 30 second mock up in my bedroom. I've been thinking about adapting some classical tunes to play with a different time feel/arrangement. Eventually I'd like to get together with a drummer friend of mine and record them in the studio.

The piece is Exercise #24 out of the book "48 Etudes for the Saxophone," edited by Marcel Mule.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

2. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    sorry, should work now.

3. love it! I always hear sax in an R&B, jazz or funk setting so it's nice to see a change for once and it doesn't' hurt that you sound great on both instruments. The concept of rearranging classical tunes is nothing new but it takes skill to pull off tastefully and I get the feeling that you have that skill :).

On another note, I remember you having another clip up called Token Faction that I REALLY liked (enough to download and put on my ipod). Was the snowybeats project just for funsies or do you plan on doing more stuff with it? That outfit had some serious groove.

4. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    Thanks man.

Actually, I sent this track over to Dan (the other half of snowybeats/tfunk.dco) and he got a kick out of it. He's working on some drum stuff for it, and when we've got the time we're going to take it in to the studio, hopefully along with some other tunes.

The project is not just for funsies (though it's by far one of the most enjoyable things I've worked on). We started out primarily recording, but lately we've been working on a live set playing similar material and we just recently had our first few shows. I run my bass and saxophone through effects and a looping pedal (I think I may add a keyboard soon as well), and he holds down the drums. The recording has been moved to the back burner for the moment. Preparing an entire set based on looping turned out to be far more time consuming than we predicted!