1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A clearer Boss ODB-3 sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by autodidact, Jul 28, 2012.

1. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Alright id first like to start off by saying that I love my ODB-3 so don't get it twisted. I've owned a Fuzzrocious Grey Stache, a Catalinbread Teaser Stallion ( in the classifieds right now :ninja: ), and an AMT Capitalist Pig in the last few months and the ODB is the only one that's stuck around.

As much as I love the sound and the aggressive tone I get from this little beast I can't help but notice its muddies up at higher volumes. I kind of attribute it to the scooped nature of the EQ but even boosting up the mids on my amp doesn't seem to help. I play a Classic Vibe Precision right now so there are already a lot of low mids in my sound, is that a contributing factor?

Also, is there a pedal that can cop that same aggressive sound and has more mid control without breaking the bank? I'm low on funds but I can try to sell/trade some gear towards a new pedal if I'm going to like it. A Fuzzrocious Rat Tail immediately comes to mind but when they come up used they're gone in an hour and I always miss them!

Suggestions for another pedal or for clearing up the ODB? Thanks guys!

2. Put in an order for a rattail and wait a few weeks. I know, we all want what we pay for right away, I'm the same way. All I could say is it's worth it man. You'll get it and put your odb-3 on the shelf.No Muddiness. Cuts through the mix very nice like. The wait goes by quick. Do it bro

3. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Peer pressure! I've been eyeing an RT for a long time but I haven't been able to pull the trigger for some reason. It might finally be time...

However, still open to other suggestions for the moment!

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Sounds like an Aguilar Agro might be up your alley.

If you want to save some coin, maybe a Digitech Hardwire Valve Distortion or Tube Overdrive.

I have all three. The Agro is definitely the most agressive and mid scooped, followed by the Valve Distortion, then the Tube Overdrive which is not mid scooped at all.

5. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    That's the thing, I like the scoop but id like the option to dail in more mids if I need them

6. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    A clean boost after it? That way you can have your nice OD tone of all tones...and then a clean boost -- like an EQ -- to make it LOUDER.