1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

a cleveland D and G decision

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by brutuscheezcake, Jun 10, 2005.

1. hey guys!

i recently put on an E and A starks on my cleveland and the sound is fantastic. the fundamental swells. truly amazing!

its time to swap out my D and G. my only real complaint is that the spiro mittel G seems weak and without sustain, not very loud. i was thinking about trying the obligatos. i am mostly a pizz player who likes that dark , loud, long sustain kinda tone.

being a noober, i would like to ask two questions;

does this seem like a "good" idea?

does anyone have any experience running starks and obligatos?

thanks much!

simon

2. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    If a spiro mittel G sounds weak and without sustain on your bass, an obligato is *not* going to be the answer to your question. When I had obligatos on my bass, I detested the way in which they felt wimpy and sounded weak in comparison to spiro mittels, and I put the spirocores back on very quickly. Spiros are a much meatier string in my experience. So replacing spiro mittels, because of that complaint, with obligatos is counter-indicated (as the doctor says).
    Obligatos are nice strings with good sustain and a dark tone, it's just that...if you think medium spiros are wimpy, don't bother with the obligatos. Especially in conjunction with spiro starks--that sounds like a dreadful mismatch.
    Why not try the starks on the D and G? If your fingers can hang with them on the bottom strings, why not give them a try on the top ones as well?

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Spircore Stark are a very thick sounding string even on the G and D. I think a full set sounds great. I currently have that setup right now(I usually use gut but with all of the outdoor gigs right now...). If you are looking for a smoother sound than steel, go for Dominant G and D. They are much closer match in tension to the Starks. I think that is a great combination.

4. well guys, thanks for the advice. i think i am going to try the starks first since that does seem to be a logical step. yeah i am a heavy gauge string lover, why deny it?

thanks!

simon