a cleveland D and G decision

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by brutuscheezcake, Jun 10, 2005.

1. brutuscheezcake

brutuscheezcake Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Bodega Bay
    hey guys!

i recently put on an E and A starks on my cleveland and the sound is fantastic. the fundamental swells. truly amazing!

its time to swap out my D and G. my only real complaint is that the spiro mittel G seems weak and without sustain, not very loud. i was thinking about trying the obligatos. i am mostly a pizz player who likes that dark , loud, long sustain kinda tone.

being a noober, i would like to ask two questions;

does this seem like a "good" idea?

does anyone have any experience running starks and obligatos?

thanks much!

2. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    If a spiro mittel G sounds weak and without sustain on your bass, an obligato is *not* going to be the answer to your question. When I had obligatos on my bass, I detested the way in which they felt wimpy and sounded weak in comparison to spiro mittels, and I put the spirocores back on very quickly. Spiros are a much meatier string in my experience. So replacing spiro mittels, because of that complaint, with obligatos is counter-indicated (as the doctor says).
    Obligatos are nice strings with good sustain and a dark tone, it's just that...if you think medium spiros are wimpy, don't bother with the obligatos. Especially in conjunction with spiro starks--that sounds like a dreadful mismatch.
    Why not try the starks on the D and G? If your fingers can hang with them on the bottom strings, why not give them a try on the top ones as well?

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Spircore Stark are a very thick sounding string even on the G and D. I think a full set sounds great. I currently have that setup right now(I usually use gut but with all of the outdoor gigs right now...). If you are looking for a smoother sound than steel, go for Dominant G and D. They are much closer match in tension to the Starks. I think that is a great combination.
  4. brutuscheezcake

brutuscheezcake Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Bodega Bay
    well guys, thanks for the advice. i think i am going to try the starks first since that does seem to be a logical step. yeah i am a heavy gauge string lover, why deny it?