A comparison of flats...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Marty Forrer, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Today I took my 12 year old TI Jazz Flats off my bass and replaced them with a set of La Bella 760FS flats. These are my initial observations, and will no doubt change a little when the LaBellas have worn in a bit, and when I get to gig them and see how they sit in the mix.
    The LBs are med tension, TIs are low tension, so a tweak of the truss rod was required. I initially tried them with LBs on the D and G, and TIs on E and A, so I could get a good comparison.
    Good grief! The 12 year old TIs were still brighter than the new LBs! Volume about the same, the main point I noticed was the LBs have a softer attack with flatter response. TIs have a strong mid-range presence which is good for cutting through a complex mix. I mainly go for a vintage sound, and I'm picking the soft attack and shorter decay of the LBs will be good.
    These are my initial observations, and may help someone trying to decide between strings. I will go back to the TIs if the LBs dont cut it at the gig, but I'm picking I will like them.
    BTW: I got the LBs online from Elderly Instruments for $31 + postage. They are good people to deal with.

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021