Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A complementary bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayAmel, May 1, 2002.

1. Fender P-Bass Deluxe

9 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. Music Man StingRay

16 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. G&L L-2500

13 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Lakland 55-94

12 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. Sadowsky 24-fret

28 vote(s)
    35.9%
  1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi,

In complement of my Rick (which I love but does not fit all kinds of music), I plan to get a second bass (5-string).

More accurately, I need a bass that will be able to cover funk, fusion, etc.

Which one seems the best to you ?

Thanks in advance,

All the best,

2. get the Stingray!

3. out of the ( limited ) list of choices.. Sadowsky.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I'm saying get the Ray. I've never played on a sadowsky though... so i can't tell not to get that. I have played a lakland or two and while they are great basses, the Ray fits me better.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You do realize that if you get any of the basses you listed (well, most anyway) your Rick will become the "complementary bass", don't you?:p

I'd say Sadowsky, but I'm sure the Stingray would work just fine.

6. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    I agree with Big Wheel, except I would get a vintage 5 or 4 Sadowsky instead inorder to get you more in J bass territory.

I've got a Sadowsky 4 and a Pre-EB Stingray. They are pretty complementary...but not equals for my needs. The Sadowsky gets played alot and the SR doesn't.

7. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I do ;)

In fact, the more I play, the more I discover that my Rick fits less and less my needs. In other words, it does not really follow the way of my musical evolution. I've been a long-time heavy rock player (you know, that BonJoviForeignerEtc-like music...), now I tend to lean towards more "subtle" things.

Also, I wish to play less with a pick, and more by fingering, and Rick's don't sound really great when fingered. Hey, they do sound cool though, but they mainly sound great when picked. Even my $ 150.00 Marathon bass sounds better when fingered...

I do believe there will come a time when my 4003 will be useless to me, and I'll let it go. And I feel this time is close. But I'll do this in two steps : first, get something new. Then, when convinced, let the Rick go...

All the best,

8. Lakland is the answer.

What was the question?

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Am I the only one who opened this thread expecting to get info on a free bass?

10. ZuluFunk asked...

Am I the only one who opened this thread expecting to get info on a free bass?

Yes.

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I don't play em myself, but I think a Ray would be great for funk, fusion, etc.

Assuming you can get the Sadowsky for the same price however, I'd say go with that instead.

Though it's not listed, a used Cirrus 5 might fit the bill as well.

12. Of the options you listed, by far the Sadowsky (either 24 fret or Vintage) would be the most versatile choice.

Be careful, though... when you own a Sadowsky, your other basses get very, very lonely! ;)

Good luck!
    Jeff

13. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks Seamus,

I can afford any of these basses, and I won't let money matters lead me to a "bad" choice. I prefer paying a high price for something great, than a "reasonable" price for something that won't give me full satisfaction.

The arguments of my choice will be : sound (quality and capabilities), general quality and versatility.

All the best,

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Zulufunk - no youy weren't the only one:(

jaylanb - out of your list I'd say Sadowsky would be the one to go for - although like other's here I doubt you'd be disappointed with any of them!

15. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i just voted for the G&L L 2500, in blueburst with wood binding

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Sadowsky outclasses the others IMO (in price as well as quality). If you want to stick with one of the "middle class" basses, I'd vote for the Stingray.

17. I think a used G&L would be excellent due to price and versatility. It would be a GREAT second bass, and covers a lot of turf the ric does not.

18. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Zulu - That's what I thought too:rolleyes: :D

19. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I tried out a Fender Deluxe P, but went with the Stingray instead. Other than the fact that I wish I had bought the 4 string, I've never regretted it. I also own a G&L L-2000. I'd rather play the Ray any day.

I can't comment on the Lakland or Sadowsky. Never played one, but I'd definately take the Stingray over the others.

Dave

20. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I will own one of those in a few weeks (blueburst, wood binding, maple board)

I would have voted L2500 out of those, but the Lakland and Sadowski are better. Keep in mind that they cost at least twice as much. Since they were all there, I voted Lakland, but if price is kept in mind, the G&L fits BEST, no questions asked. IMO, it's the poor man's boutique bass, only with a vintage fender-y vibe (they're fender-y, but with many improvements and modern features).