1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A completely screwy night (long)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by RonSound, Sep 15, 2010.

1. RonSound

RonSound Proud Registered Supporter of Talkbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 24, 2008
    owner: RonSound effects and repairs
    A couple of weeks ago I had a gig scheduled for Sat. night at a small town American Legion. The night before, the guitarist/soundman/bandleader (hereafter referred to as GSB) posts on Facebook that the band is defunct as the lead guitarist is going to join another very popular local band and the gig is cancelled. On the day of the gig, being unable to reach the GSB by phone, I head to the lead guitarist's house to find out what's going on.
    He says that yes, he's joining the other band but also wants to continue playing in this band. The GSB doesn't want him to split his time between 2 bands and rather than suck it up and deal with it, he calls it quits. The lead guitarist still wants to do the gig, as do I and the drummer.
    I finally round up a small PA system to use and as I'm packing it up the drummer calls and says he can't do the gig as he's feeling sick (turns out later that the GSB intimidated him). I try to talk him into it and he says he'll call me back, which he never did.
    The lead guitarist and I get to the venue, set up, and wait for the drummer to arrive. He never shows up. When showtime hits I tell the guitarist screw it, the show's going on and we proceed to play a 2 man show, guitar and bass. Luckily he's also the lead vocalist. Since the GSB pulled all the flyers down and told everyone the gig was cancelled, turnout is light.
    The first set goes over much better than expected and during the break a friend goes to get her 18 year old nephew who's learning drums. He shows up with a First Act set of bass drum, snare, tom, hi-hat, and cymbal. Not the best set in the world, but he can keep a beat.
    The last 2 sets go much better. The guitarist and I coached him before and during each song for a few seconds about the beat, accents, breaks, etc. We get dancers and really start having a great time.
    At the end of the night, we tear everything down and get it packed in 30 minutes (SWEET!!!) and split the door 3 ways with the drummer: $22 each.

Here's what I know of what was going on:

GSB: over-reacted to the announcement of the lead guitarist's joining a 2nd band. Got really p'd at me for playing with the lead guitarist and intimidated the drummer by telling him something might happen to his new drums if he showed up.
    Lead guitarist: Is joining popular local band after giving a verbal commitment to stick with current project through the winter. Wants to do both, GSB is too much of an a55 to let him. GSB said lead guitarist said some nasty things about me and my rig. LG also had a great time at the gig and has indicated continuing as a 3 piece with drummer. Doesn't sound like someone who doesn't like my rig (BC Rich Eagle>Markbass LMII>Shroeder 1515).
    Drummer: wanted to do gig but didn't because of intimidation by GSB. I tried to call him several times that night. Finally his kid answered and said he was on his way to the gig. His boss was at the gig and called him. Drummer was sitting at campfire in his backyard. Has been given crap in the past by GSB for doing a one time show with friends.

So, after all apologies and clearing things up between me, drummer, and lead guitarist, the 3 piece thing may not happen anyway since drummer has decided to stay with GSB who's trying to continue with some other musicians. I'm not invited at this point since he had to take new vocalist's bassist, but it might happen.

Couple of pics attached.

Attached Files:

2. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    Certain musicians, usually the one dimensional one's, think that people can't play in more then one band. And when you site pro's that do it, they say"well they are pro's we are not". I hate these people and their jealous insecurity's.

Sorry GSB is a turd. Drummer is a turd for being influenced. What GSB did is messed up on many levels, and is definitely not the last time he will do something like this again.

3. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    The show must go on. IMHO, you handled it very well and gave a new drummer a taste of playing in public. Good on ye.

4. I'm in four ( I think) forget sometimes and also to fill in stuff when called. My drummer - 3, Guitar player -3. 2nd guitar player - 2. It is possible and not that difficult.

5. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Too much drama. [​IMG]

6. TheDude007

TheDude007

May 18, 2010
    Kansas City
    Well done sir. It's always good to hear about someone handling something like an adult. It may not have been ideal, but it's better than canceling at the last second and leaving them without entertainment at all. I also agree with greggster59, you gave an inexperienced player their first taste of being on stage. Even if he quits tomorrow, he's always gonna remember that one time he got up on stage and rocked the house. I salute you. :bassist:

7. I'm a stay-at-home dad(of 3), in 4 bands & have a TB post-per-day average of 6.23. Kill GSB- there's already enough douchebaggery in the gene pool.

8. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    thats the way to do it never give up , congrats man, that gsb deserves a good beating, what a unprofessional douche, you guys are not kids to be intimidated by all that bs.
    well now the douche is kicked from he's own project , well done man

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I love those nights when absolutley nothing goes right, but in the end things still sem to work themselves out.

Had a gig maybe two months ago, I show up early. As Im waiting around I get a call from our guitarist. For reasons beyond his control he is immobilized. He was also the ride for our drummer and our synth player. As well as the gear in his pickup. Keyboard players gets to his house and picks up the gear. I call our drummer to see if he can get a ride from someone else. Synth player is trying to get a ride from someone else. Niether one of them finds a ride. Keyboard player sits on the drums and plays synth at the same time. I play my bass. We rock it!

10. NOAH_FX

NOAH_FX

Aug 12, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Way to keep your integrity dude. Don't let anyone push you around.. I swear though, if GSB had called me, and threatened to ruin MY drums.. Wow their would be beyond drama, their'd be lawsuit's afterwords.. How can he stay with him after that? Like, grow a backbone, seriously.

11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I am totally impressed with that show going on -- really well done. Sounds like you are totally better off without the GSB and the drummer needs to grow a pair. Get yourself a new drummer and rock on.

12. RonSound

RonSound Proud Registered Supporter of Talkbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 24, 2008
    owner: RonSound effects and repairs
    Yeah, I'm not one to give up so easily. I'd been looking forward to it all week as had my family and friends, many of whom live in that town.
    I'm not sure what to make of the GSB sometimes. I've known him for 30 years and he's always been a bit of an arrogant a55, but this was completely over the top for him.

13. Sounds like you already found a drummer, call him, Thank him for the help at your gig, ask if he's interested in making it perminant. Then help him get up to speed.

The GSB, well, the less you deal with him the better off you will be in the long run.

-eSmith.

14. infamusblkdeath

infamusblkdeath Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Capital district, NY
    makes me feel like this

15. Baron Von Vik

Baron Von Vik

Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Mojo FunkBasses
    Awesome. The show went on... you held up your part. Well done!
    Screw that guy.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021