1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Composer Writes

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Gareth Glyn, May 2, 2006.

1. Hi - I'm a composer. Players looking for a short, fun showpiece for the bass might be interested in trying my Microncerto, which was commissioned to be played by Dominic Seldis with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales. Since its premiere, it has also been performed by Lenny Finkelshteyn with the North Carolina Symphony, and in performances with the BBC Concert Orchestra and BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra.

You can view the full score at SibeliusMusic, where you can also print it out for free (and hear a MIDI version); a recording of Dominic's performance can be downloaded, again at no cost, at this site, and I can provide a version for DB and piano (for rehearsal or performance purposes) on demand.

The piece was originally commissioned to display the full range (in every sense) of the bass to young people, but since then it seems to have been taken up for general public concerts too.

2. Nice work. It reminded me of Micheal Daughtry (not sure if I spelled his name right). I'm interested in hearing more of your works.

3. John453

John453

Apr 1, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    Really nice work! I liked the pizz bit in the middle. Have you written anything else for double bass? i'd be very interested in hearing any other works you have.

I know I couldn't play it, but I'd like the score for double bass and piano. I think my teacher would like it and I'd like to show him.
    John

4. Thanks for the feedback - I really appreciate it.

I've now uploaded the piano reduction of the Microncerto to this site as a pdf file.

I haven't written very much stuff for DB - there was a sonata for bass and harp, which I've now withdrawn (and plundered for other purposes...) but there is a piece for DB and small orchestra which is longer than the Microncerto but just as quirky. It's called Welsh Incident and involves two narrators speaking Robert Graves's poem in synch with the music. I uploaded it to the SibeliusMusic site, but because of copyright restrictions had to cut the words and rename the work to "I Was Coming to That....".

Oddly enough, the piece seems to work OK without the narration, if the background of the poem is given in a programme note.

I suppose I could put the original Welsh Incident on my site for download if anyone were interested.

5. I'm considering contacting virtuoso classical double-bass soloists directly - can anybody suggest any names?

Since composing for the instrument I've had the pleasure of meeting quite a few brilliant soloists, but not being a bassist myself I don't know who else is considered to be at the top of their profession these days.

I'd be grateful for any help.

6. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    If you're looking for someone in the UK try Duncan McTier. He is amazing.

Also, Mark Morton here in the states has recorded a lot of new music by composers like Paul Ramsier.

7. Brilliant, thanks.

Gareth

8. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    Nice piece, but I have one small suggestion. If you haven't thought of it already, you might consider contemplating some alternatives for the sections that utilize the extension. Having a player with an extension is no sure thing. It seems like there are some spots where just playing the low notes up an octave (which is what many players might do) might ruin the melodic line. Just a thought. Otherwise, like I said, cool piece man.

9. Good point, BGreaney - this is certainly something I'll look into.