1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A compressorpedal for use in a rockband?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassMonstrum, Mar 7, 2008.

1. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    I feel like I need a pedal to tame those harsh peaks when jumping up and down, and something to make me cut through the band more. I'm considering the EBS Multicomp, the Demeter Compulator or the Keeley two knob compressor. Any other suggestions?

I'm not fond of tweaking much and prefer a two knob stompbox. I've had the DBX 160a, which I loved, but I needed a pedal since I often travel with only my basses and pedalboard. The compressor will most likely be engaged at all time.

Most compressors sound good when soloed, but tends to drown in a bandsetting. Among the basstones I love are RATM's Tim Commerford (especially on "Evil Empire"), Thrice's Eddie Breckenridge and Tool's Justin Chancellor; in other words I love a heavy midrange sound. All of these bassplayers have a tone that I believe have been processed through a compressor.

Also, I use Fender passive P- and J-basses through:

- Boss TU-2 tuner
    - EBS Octabass
    - Budda Phatbass tube overdrive
    - Sansamp Bassdriver
    - Dunlop Basswah

Where in the chain would you recommend the compressor to be? Thanks!

2. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Almost certainly at the end, since input dynamics might affect the sound you get from your pedals.

I think that list of compressors is a pretty good one. I've used a couple of them and have now settled on an Aphex Punch Factory, not because I think it's the best of the bunch (probably the Compulator) but just because I lost my head of experimental steam when I had that one. I do keep it on all night long, and it's at the end of my chain, or actually just before the Sonic Stomp, which is at the very end.