1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A confession re: fifteens

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, it's no secret around here that I have no affection for fifteens. Or didn't have. I've just gotten to the point where I can go public with what happened at the San Diego GTG a couple weekends ago. Ubone brought half of his stage rig; his Eden WT-800 and two Bergantino single 15 cabs (don't know exactly which model ... they're not on the site). I couldn't believe my ears. They had excellent full-range sound, nice deep bottom and plenty of crispiness on top. Some of the best tone I've heard in a long time.

So from now on, fifteens are still tone-sucking muff monsters, except Bergantinos.

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Bergantinos SUCK!

(So if you want to get rid of them contact me. I will even pay for shipping.)

:D

Joe.

3. I use two B-15T cabs with an SVT head for smaller gigs and they sound great, not as good as an SVT cab but sound pretty good for what they are, modern 15"s have good treble response if they're designed for it.

4. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yay Munji!

In my experience, you are describing every cab Bergantino makes.

I am always impressed with the full range sound, deep bottom and crispiness on top. Always natural sounding. I <3 Jim Bergantino

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Munji, I, too, was once like you. My first decent amp was an Acoustic 136 combo with a 15". Loved it until I first heard an SVT cab. Then I hated it and I was all about 10"s for the next 20 odd years. Then I got a B-15N with the double baffle cab. The more I used it, the more I liked it. And now I love 15"s and I wish I still had the 136 because I'd probably like it again, too.

6. i have a peavey black widow 15" i've been using for a long time now that still sounds the same as when i got it used. i can pull out quite a fair amount of higher end from it, but i usually just toss it below a 4x10+tweet. i barely turn up that 4x10 though, and the 15 gets cranked. after all, we're bassists, right? not twangists...

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm going to have to break out my HT322 and hook it up to my WW Ultra. We plugged the Ultra into one of ubone's fifteens, and it sounded superb, with none of the missing bottom sometimes attributed to WWs.

8. I love my NV610! It seems to sound great with every amp I pair it with. I've not tried any of Jim's 15 loaded cabs but I'm sure they're awesome!

I didn't know he made single 15 cabs.

9. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Wow good idea considering the HT322 has so much bottom to spare.

Lemme know what happens. I play an HT322 as well

10. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The Berg IP153 and it's EX115 are incredible examples of 15"s. If you couldn't see the speakers you'd be hard pressed to identify what size you were hearing. The speed is equal to 10"s. That model is currently unavailable. Perhaps the beliefs about 15"s keep them from being considered.
    The Orange 1x15 was also pretty amazing. Full frequency and fast no flub. If I created an Orange stack it would be with two of their 1x15s.

11. The old Berg 115's have the same large PA horn tweeter as your HT322. So, not surprising you hear the crispness up top. That has nothing to do with the driver size (or even the drivers for that matter, since those particular Berg's (Ht322, HT210, HT210s, HT115, etc.) use those almost sub-woofer like hi xmax drivers and that very large, powerful, low crossed over PA type tweeter for the upper mid and treble response.

The HT322 has quite a 'scoop' to it to my ears. i agree, the 115's are actually a touch more present in the lower mids, which is a good thing IMO. The old HT115's are a very nice, smooth, full sounding 15 loaded box, and two would be quite a bit more even and present in the mids versus the very wide HT322 IMO and IME.

Also, the WT800, with strong mid response 'helps' those particular cabs out in the 'punch' area quite a bit. That's a nice mix and match IMO!

Attributing a specific tone to a specific driver size is misplaced at this point IMO.

12. So many box sizes! :)

13. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Ah, yes. The venerable 1x15. A good 1x15 should be in every bass player's stable of cabs.

A good (emphasis on "good") 1x15 has certain qualities that 10's and 12's don't seem to have. Not sure why, but with a 15 I hear a certain honkiness and "direct-ness", if you will, that other speaker sizes don't have. Not sure why, but I hear it.

But then again, I hear a lot of things that other people don't: Dogs barking, tornado sirens, voices telling me to run naked through the streets while clucking like a chicken. You know, that kind of stuff.

14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Just played a 1969-Ampeg B-25 head.
    With, matching 2x15 cab. (with JBL 140D)

This rig sounded incredible.

The right, cab make all the difference.

15. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Yes, as a ten's guy myself, I've had trouble with 15's being "muffy". Reading more about Jeff Berlin, and his love of the 15's got me going to try them again. I love the Berg's, but can't afford them, although, their small size is always made them worth even more. I ran into a set, of the smaller Avatar single 15's, that are in the same 2.8 cab as the 12's are, and are ported at 44hz. They have the 15 that takes the smallest box that Eminence makes, which is the KappaProLF. I must admit, they sound great. I will be keeping this pair. I will be adding a Piezo in each one as time goes on however, as these came with no tweet, for the old school sound. Think I'll put in a defeat switch on them just in case though. Sure nice to have a pair of good 15's that fit in the backseat of the wife's 2001 Chevy Metro. Makes for cheaper runs to practice, than the fuel lovin' van.

16. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I also had a 136. They came in two forms, and I don't know which was older. There was a taller, thinner one, and a shorter wider one. I had the short one. That amp had to be the heaviest combo in the entire world. Weighed about the same as an SVT. It was a happy day, when I sold that anchor.

17. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    The more I try I just can't get away from my NV215. It is my sound. Best cab on the market for me

18. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    I have two primary cabs, a 115 and a 215. I've used SWR and Ampeg with them, and found them to be very versatile, depending upon what you dial in.

One of the areas they stand out, IMO, is letting the bass sound through as clearly as I want it to. The difference, for example, between my jazz with flats and my Geddy with roundwounds is night and day.

I've been looking at adding a 410 if I get some mad money, but I'm not desperate to do so. I'll look for a bargain before I make that move.

19. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I've always been a fan of 15's. There are indeed some good ones out there.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I apparently had the short one as well because it was soooooo heavy! Wow, glad you reminded me of that...I'm back to not missing it now ;)