1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

a convert hopeful

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Barry Clark, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Barry Clark

Barry Clark

May 9, 2007
    Been playing bass for about 16 years now... and I have finally decided to move to upright bass.

I am not nearly as familiar with uprights as I am electrics.

What would I be better off going with: Engelhardt or Eberle in the $1000 bass area? I see the Eberle has the ebony fingerboard and Engelhardt's bass makes no mention of the fingerboard material. Which has more of that wonderful, classic, pizzicato swing sound?

Thanks!

2. RE: Englehardts : http://www.engelhardtlink.com/basses.asp

ES-1, ES-9, EG-1, & EG-9 have ebony fittings

It has been my experience that no two basses sound the same - ya just gotta get out there & listen for yourself - preferably from across the room with someone else playing for you . . . it doesn't sound the same when you're playing it yourself.

Having said that . . . vingtage Kays, American Standards, Epiphones, & Kings just to name a few - all enjoy the reputation for the sound for which you're searching . . . but that's just one man's opinion . . . for whatever it may or may not be worth !

P.S. - Good Luck finding one for $1K . . .

check-out this site: http://fretwellbass.com - Jerry sells new Engles as well as most of the vintage basses mentioned above & enjoys a well earned reputation for service and integrity . . .

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

Then you are about to only begin to play bass! :D

4. Hello Barry. Glad you decided to dip your toes into the darkside. I wouldn't recommend a mail order bass or trying to find that classic swing sound just through drooling over basses online (which i do quite often).

I'll give you the pretty general formula that the DBers will give you, and gave me a couple months ago:
    1. Check out the newbie links
    2. Go find a local luthier that deals basses
    3. Get a teacher

I wish you the best of luck. I think I played a pretty new Englehardt that the non-profit organization that i worked for was using as a bass for students to play. I stole it and took it to a jam and got compliments on the sound... so it's worth a shot. For one grand, you're fishing in a pretty shallow pool but you'll find something you like. Check the classifieds too. I think there was a Kay selling for 800 a while back.

5. milomo

milomo

Aug 5, 2007
    Bloomfield, NJ
    A bass player after my own heart!

6. well you'd be appalled to know that i put it back :smug:

7. milomo

milomo

Aug 5, 2007
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Well, all I can say is
    You had me...
    ...and you lost me!

8. that's a crying shame :crying: can i still get a lesson next time you're in new york? message me:p

9. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    A lesson in stealing basses? :eek:

10. wendell

wendell

Jun 6, 2007
    Cleveland
    If you do decide to look for Eberles, check out bassesonline.com. They have Eberles at a very good price last I checked. You can find the story of this outfit in the archives, too. If you can find a good one, an Eberle might do you just fine. I remember one in particular I tried once elswhere that was very nice.

If you ever can stretch your budget a bit, there are quite a few more options...Upton Hawkes, Shens, Englehardts, used this and that. (I have a new laminated Upton Hawkes in transit to me right now and can offer feedback in a few days.)

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yup... our man Greene is having a "final sale" as we speak. Check the lefthand margin for his ad.

12. In my vocabulary he just "borrowed" it for a while. ;) Risky business, but pretty harmless if your careful. Not that I'd encourage that kind of thing.

Nice time to start DB at 16 Barry;- wish I had. Welcome to the

DARK SIDE!

13. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    I'm about the pull the trigger on one of Steve's basses. He has been tremendously helpful and gracious with me and my luthier: taking multiple pictures; providing all details including precise measurements; and being a genuine nice guy. He's got only a few basses left so I'd contact him ASAP.

14. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    shen > kay > englehardt.

IMHO. broad generalizations, i know. are you in New England? if so: arnold schnitzer, mark carlsen.

15. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    No no, he's bee playing electric bass for 16 years, he's actually 32.

I wouldn't buy an upright online.

16. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I would if it came from a reputable, skilled luthier/bass shop. Many here have with great success.

17. vbass29

vbass29

Jul 30, 2007
    Warrington, PA
    I think with uprights, more so than bass guitars, its important to try them out before buying. I've been playing upright since middle school and know, for me, that the actual feel of the bass to me is more important than what everyone else says. I've played on a number of "school basses" before I got my first carved bass (and subsequent second) and for me the overall feel of the bass and how it fits my body really makes a difference in how well I play.

Just my thoughts