Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A cool golf experience I had

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dave Siff, Jun 24, 2005.

1. I know there are some golf enthusiasts around here, so I thought I'd share my story from Wednesday. I played Pinehurst #2, three days after the U.S. Open concluded. It was incredible.. by far, the most enjoyable round I've ever played. I was paired up with a guy from New Jersey. He had a caddie, and I didn't, but his caddie ended up giving me some good advice throughout the day. The viewing stands were still up from the tournament, so the course had an arena-like feel even though there were no fans cheering us on.
    We played from the white tees, which made the course 6,298 yards.. about 900 yards shorter than it was for the U.S. Open. (The tips for the members and guests are the blue tees, which measure 6,752 yards.) I shot 101, with no mulligans or handicap strokes.. I counted every shot I took. I hit two fairways, and six greens in regulation. The best part was playing holes 11 through 16 in two over par. And, I didn't lose a ball all day, after bringing 30 brand new Top Flites and hoping that would be enough!
    Pinehurst is really accessible. It is not as hard as you might think to get a tee time, although it will cost you. But, it's well worth it. I took a bunch of pictures, but they're too big to post.. I'll try to work on shrinking them
    By the way, my trip to Pinehurst was a side trip during a visit to Gard in Greensboro (about 75 miles north.) I got to see Roscoe's shop (talk about eye candy!!) and hang out and drink beers with Gard, which is always a good time. Everyone who's going to the upcoming Greensboro GTG is in for a treat!

2. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Sounds like a good time! I read an article about Pinehurst a short while ago, just about the history and course(s) layout. Looks tough! A course near me that I play often called St. Andrews (West Chicago) has 36 holes, full size pro shop, bar, etc. 2 people with a cart runs about 115$ so I guess it's a bit on the pricey side. Really nice lakeside course IMO. I took a friend there for his birthday last year and had a blast. I'm not sure who's seen the Jackass movie, but we act the same with the cart (when no one's around that is) and I ended up throwing my buddy off the cart! After we tee'd off we took off, and when we got up the hill the fairway flattened out, no one was around so I start swerving back and forth with him hanging off the side. Anyways I guess I got his momentum swinging and I yanked hard left when he was going right :rollno: ....all of a sudden he's off the cart on the ground and rolling, I shout 'tuck and roll!!" and he gets up all limping and pissed off. I ended up beating him by 3 strokes.

Oog :D

3. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I think everybody does that with the carts. I remember one time we got a cart swamped. Apparently it had been raining a little while ago and this one area was still flooded a bit. We were so embarrassed when we told the guy we flipped, and swamped a cart. He just looked at us like it was completely normal.

4. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Pretty cool, Dave...even though the stand were empty, I'll bet it was still a rush walking up to the greens!! Maybe you even heard some "ghostly" cheers!!!!!! :p

The Senior Open (The Allianz Tournament) just finished at Polk City (Arnie's course near Des Moines) not too long ago...I'm itchin' to get some time out there

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yo Dave!

Man, that Natty Greene's Old Town Brown, good stuff, hm? :)

Really glad you enjoyed that trip to Pinehurst, it sounded like a blast, and ya had some really cool pics.

By the way y'all, Dave had a completely cool day Wednesday, he not only played Pinehurst during the day, we hit the local blues jam the same night, and he kicked arse there too!! :hyper: (although he didn't get the "good" drummer during his tenure onstage, he still managed to keep the guy fairly close to "in time"...ain't playin' with bad drummers a drag? :spit: )

6. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Sometimes it's a 'rush!'

hahahahahaha... :meh: sorry, I had too. :bag:

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    :)

Trust me, that's what Dave was primarily dealing with...so I guess Dave was a drag that night!

:ninja:

:D

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    dave, i really wish i could hit the course some day, but the older i get, the worse my back turns out...

going to the range or playing a round with my father really bonded us...he was a natural (his father was a teaching pro)...my dad really got my game going.

i really miss golf :(

glad to hear you were able to play ole' Pinehurst...

:)

9. I'd rather be in drag than play with that drummer again!

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    so many drummers, so little time...

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA

...that is something I'd rather not see, if you don't mind...

:bag:

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    So many bad drummers, so little ammunition...

:ninja:

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wow Dave, that is very cool! I'd like to see the pics if you don't mind sending them to me: MJ5150

-Mike

15. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    That had to be a rush playing that course. 101 is EXTREMELY respectable on that course considering what the pros scored last weekend. I would have been lucky to get out of there with a 140!

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    OUCH! You need to put the bass down, and spend more time at the range. :)

-Mike

17. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    LOL! ....methinks I need to re-familiarize myself with my clubs....

18. Will do!

19. Thanks. I felt like I played pretty well. Made five pars, and had birdie putts on all of them. Of course, I did play from the white tees. If I'd played from the U.S. Open tees, I think we would have been looking at 200!

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Thank you so much for those pics Dave. They came out great, and they were excellent shots. Felt like I was there playing with you guys.

-Mike