Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A cool steve Lawson clip from NAMM 06

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by superbassman2000, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    ...me....want......looperlative....

With the complete failure of Electrix to produce anything of their new Repeater promised over the last year, this gives me great hope. Looks like it has everything I'd want, particularly the ability to remove loops in any order.

Any idea what street price will be? He mention $1400 retail, although I imagine that doesn't include a MIDI pedal.

Really cool piece by Steve as well!

2. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I predict a glut of used echoplexi to become available soon.

in fact . . . mine might be one. :)

3. good...you can sell it to me!

4. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I loved that video up until the part where Bob mentioned something about $1400. GAH!! I couldn't sell my car for that much! hehe...And if I had that much, I'd probably invest in a better bass.

Although that does look reeeeeally sweet. I've been doing a few things with a 2 sec delay lately...you could probably imagine my limits there...hehe.

-Josh

5. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I know 1400 sounds like a lot - but considering the gibson echoplex with footpedal sells for about 900-1100 - $1400 for a box that literally does what it would take 16 echoplexes to do is a screaming good deal.

6. That was a great video, Steve's such a looping maniac. :)
    And for the looperlative that is quite a cool tool, sure just when I've sold all my hardware and am happy with software, along comes the looperlative. Damn now I'm gassing. Their weboard states $1199 for sale price, I sold both my EDP's for way over that.
    I can only imagine what the future holds for it, seems like the guy really wants to support it and add new features all the time, and even better, per request of users!!!!! Wow that would be something.
    Dirk

7. i'm just kinda psyched because now might be my chance to get a cheap EDP!

bye bye lexicon jamman!

8. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    $1199 is a very special introductory price, for people who order now. MSRP is $1499...

It is an incredible unit - Bob's got both the skills and the business model to make this thing work. He's a great guy, with wikkid skillz, and a killer product. I'm excited to see where it goes next. :)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Steve, would you say that the Looperlative is a better overall unit for live solo bass performances than the Echoplex? Can you do as many hands-free tasks as you can with an Echoplex? And as for the undo/remove loop feature, does it require that you hold one of the MIDI footswitches down for a few seconds, or can it be instantaneously done with one step?

Sorry for all the questions, but it looks like a really exciting unit!

10. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    For the way I play, the Looperlative is by far the best looper I've ever tried - it does everything I'd ever want a looper to do (at least everything I've conceived up until now!) - and it has the potential to get really crazy with the upcoming software updates (all of which are free and via the ethernet port).

the Echoplex has a great way of working, the software is killer, and the ideas in it are the product of many years of development by some very skilled and wise people.

However, the hardware is its limiting factor, and with the looperlative being stereo, and having 8 independent channels, much higher fidelity and the ethernet link, it's just this year technology as opposed to early 90s technology.

There are a lot of people that are still going to be loving their EDPs - I haven't suddenly started disliking all the music I've recorded with mine over the years! - but all in, the Looperlative offers more of what I need...

and as for undo, the looperlative allows you undo steps by recording to different tracks, which can then be muted and unmuted in any order, with a single button push. There aren't any extended press functions as yet...

cheers

steve
    www.stevelawson.net

11. ii-v

ii-v

Mar 27, 2005
    SLC, UT
    Yeah I kinda salivated over this and I am number 7 on the list.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Eh, Steve! I like the playing on that. Sweet stuff. That looper would be really fun to play with!

And I like the black fingernail polish. People always ask me why when I do it.

13. Peik

Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    Sweden
    Hi Steve

I have read that you also use the Line 6 DL4.

I am interested in trying out looping, but I am a little torn between DL4 and the Akai Headrush E2, have you got any thoughts on both. E2 is also alot cheaper, at least here in Sweden. Or are there any other cheap alternatives I should consider?

14. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Peik,

I think I prefer the DL4, mainly because the Delay options make it so much more creative, and the option to hook up an expression pedal and control things gives you loads more possibilities.

My DL4 broke years ago, but my second album, 'Conversations' was a duet CD with a pianist, and the only effect I used on it was the DL4, and managed to squeeze quite a few ideas from it!

Theo Travis, the flute/sax player I play with a lot is now using two DL4s, and does some incredible stuff with them...

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

15. Peik

Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    Sweden
    Hi Steve

Thanks for offering your opinion.

Any thoughts on the Digitech Jamman?
    one just became available too me second hand, so the price is not so much an issue.