A cop/moving violation story - your thoughts

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Last night I was driving up to a cafe where there was an art exhibit I was going to see. I was coming down the block, needed to make a a right turn onto a very short block to then turn left onto the block the place was on. On this little block are a bunch of police cars (heading in the direction I was going) and a van which was pulled over. I stop at the stop sign and slowly start making the turn. A cop immiately points for me to pull over. He comes over and asks for my licence and registration. I ask nicely what for, and he tells me I turned the wrong way down a one way street. He was right, BUT - AND A VERY BIG BUT - there were only 2 signs to the left and right of the other side of the intersection, NO sign that said NO RIGHT TURN, the street had JUST BEEN changed to a one way street (it was always a 2 way until a short while ago), AND the cops and this van were facing the wrong direction (which looked like the right direction) and it was incredibly distracting since the cops had their lights all swirling.

I'll speed up the story... I literally begged the cop to not ticket me as he could have easily just stopped me and pointed me in the opposite direction. It was pretty lame that he allowed me to make the turn. He "shhhhhhd" me as he was taking my licence, came back and told me not to worry, but to play along as if he were giving me a ticket. He decided not to ticket me.

A bunch of other cars made the same turn - some they pulled over, some they didn't.

I took the plate number of the guy who WAS getting ticketed in front of me. He was giving the cops a hard time (and rightly so) but they were ticketing him regardless. The cop wanted me to play along because he didn't want this guy in front of me see him let me off the hook. The cop did me a favor (actually, he should have never pulled me over so he really just wasted my time) - but screwed this guy. I have the guy's plate number. I'm wondering now if I should search him out and help him fight his ticket, or just let it go. He had every right to be infuriated... blah, blah, blah... this post is getting too long.

Your thoughts.
  2. Up to you. I disagree with his right to be infuriated. You see, with multiple cops cars, he was probably giving them a VERY hard time. It's entirely possible he would have been let go if he hadn't run his mouth. Lastly, the official stance will be something along the lines of "ignorance of the directional change is no excuse". Basically, this change has been public information since the decision was made, and a guarantee you it wasn't made overnight. It was probably in the paper and maybe even on the news (our local affiliate advertises this kind of thing).

Personally, I'd be pissed that they selectively ticketed people, but cops are human like everyone else. You piss 'em off, and they'll enforce the law that much more. Be thankful you talked to him like a human instead of an animal.

3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I agree with Mike. It was cool of the cop to let you go. If the street was just recently changed, they probaly realize that people are getting confused. The guy in the van could have been getting mouthy or maybe the cops are just trying to fill their quotas. Who knows? Either way, you got off free, so I wouldn't rock the boat at this point.
  4. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Wow, isn't the system just screwed.

It's up to you, but really, do you know exactly why the other guy was pulled over? If there was more than one cop car, they probably needed them for a reason..
  5. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    My opinion is, I'm tired of you knuckleheads crying about the cops every time you get stopped.
  6. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Knuckleheads huh?

My appreciation for vehicular law enforcement is at an all time low after having a gun pulled on me by a female officer during a stop that SHE SHOULDN'T HAVE MADE. It was 1 am, I was driving back home with my drummer from a gig, a cop pulled a U behind me and signaled me to pull off. I immediately did so, turned off the engine and radio, and lowered my driver side window. I heard some incoherent voices behind which I attributed to 2 cops chatting as they approached my car. Suddenly, I heard a shrill voice scream "PUT YOUR HANDS OUT THE WINDOW OR I'LL SHOOT!". I flung my hands out the window as a female cop approached with a 9mm pointed towards my shoulder. She then proceeded to give me the riot act about "not obeying her directions" (Which I honestly didn't hear until she screamed at close distance, and why the h))l would she need me to throw my hands out anyways?) as well as "watching me race around town all night"(Total BS, I had just gotten into town and was doing the speed limit). She then proceeded to tell me I had driven "way too fast" around an intersection and was skidding (BS meter is through the roof now, I was driving completely sane, ESPECIALLY since I SAW the cop!), then informed me that my left front headlight was out (yes, just went out). She then proceeded to run my license, run my plates, and then - ASKED MY SHOCKED DRUMMER FOR HIS LICENSE - which he didn't have on him. She then decided to tell us that it's "illegal not to have ID when in public" (whatever, get the h))l outta here) and etc. Finally, after my fear started subsiding and rage was overtaking, I curtly detailed my evening, asked how the h))l she decided it was ME that had been racing around all night, (Red fox body 5.0, black driver door, L headlight out?) which she replied flatly, "well I only saw the taillights of it". Great - gonna shoot somebody for having the same taillights?!!

Finally, she said "well I'm not gonna give you a ticket tonight" (D@mn right, what'd I do to even deserve a stop?), and let me go.....

This was possibly the most infuriating abuse of power I have ever experienced first hand.

And Cheezewiz, being a cop is doubtless a trying and dangerous job, but I don't think you'd appreciate having a loaded weapon pointed at you by a stranger any more than I did.

I've encountered several good-hearted cops as well - but this most recent experience really irks me and makes me wonder about a bunch of OTHER police officers out there..... are they qualified? hmm.......
  7. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Joe Nerve:

I'd let it go. For all you know the other driver could have been drinking/high to boot.

That is nasty! Did you get her badge number and report it? As for the ID, you are not in Russia or North Korea. However, is that a new law under the Bush government? I am Canadian so I don't know.

I am one of those people that gets along with the police rather well. I don't remember the last time I got pulled over. Someone else mentioned treating them like people and not robotic civil servants. The police are no smarter than the general public and maybe that lady cop has real-life issues or she could be on the rag.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Joe....the police officer did you a favor, and let you go without a citation. Now you want to go investigate the situation, and maybe squeal on him? Come on man, that's not cool.

9. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Lackey..IF it happened as you say, you have a legitmate complaint. Make the complaint to someone who can do something about it though, like her Chief, etc. I just tire of the incessant whining on trivial matters. Yours doesnt sound so trivial.
  10. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I turned on to oneway street going diffrent way before right infront of a cop... he turned on light and i heard "you doing a wrong way dumb*** uturn your car" I did pulled next to him thinking he will pull me over... when i looked at him he turned off the lights and was laughen like "ha ha... i got cha scared" and drove away:)

Some cops are very cool... those are guys who give me hope and will to help them out when i have to...

My idea about your is... most likely guy allready made the turn and they stopped but they stopped you too early so technically you didnt do anything illegal yet and other guy allready did... or just 2 diffrent guys and guy who pulled you over didnt want his buddies thinking he let you go so he took his time...

I've been let go that way few times... I got pulled over by cop... he called backup and came up to my car... after he saw some other cop car pull up he just went "oh crap this guy is an *** i was going to let you go and i will... i'll just tell him that i gave you ticket so he would leave... play along" exactly that happen and i was let go...
  11. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Glad I posted this. I agree - I've no clue what the guy in front of me's story is, and maybe the lesson he needs to learn is to not get infuriated and talk nicely to the cops like I did.

Cheezwiz, you're out of line and you know it. Calling people knuckleheads is an obvious intent to get them going (and against talkbass rules) - sorry you feel the need to do that. If this annoys you as much as you claim it does then you shouldn't have read the thread.
  12. Joe, you broke the law. New law or not, intentionally or not, you broke it. You got lucky. Drop it.
  13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

I did JUST that once.

I was driving down a residential street just after dark, my father and a good friend in the car, obeying all speed limits and signs. Police cruiser pulls up right on my @$$, proceeds to tailgate me for about a mile - and I mean TAILGATE, we couldn't see his headlights.

I pull over (using my turnsignal, of course), figuring that maybe he's in a hurry to get somewhere, and I want to get out of his way. He flips his lights on, pulls in behind me, and comes up to the car, sporting a major chip on his shoulder.

His face when he looked in and saw my father sitting in the passenger seat was priceless. He'd obviously seen me (a teenager at the time) driving a very nice vehicle, and was going to try and intimidate me into doing something foolish. He failed (I don't rattle THAT easily), and in the process P!$$ED OFF my father...

...big mistake.

Dad's best friend: The Chief of Police

Needless to say, badge numbers were written down, and there was a little meeting at the Chief's office the next morning with myself, my father, the two cops in the cruiser, and el grande jefe. A lot of "crawfishing", apologizing, yessir/nosir's and sweating (for the two "officers") later, they were on desk duty for a month.

One managed to stick with the job, the driver of the cruiser was fired 6 months later.

On topic: Joe, let it go, you won't do anyone a favor by getting involved. If that guy has a legitimate beef with his situation, there ARE ways to deal with it. You getting into it will most likely just cause the cop that did you a favor trouble: "No good deed goes unpunished". Don't make that true.
  14. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    As I said, I am letting it go - but as far as me breaking the law - you had to see the setup. All the proper signs were not yet in place for the NEW one way street, AND since there was so much activity, I was going around 3 mph making the turn, after a full stop with my right turn signal on. The cop was watching me the whole time. He could have just as easily directed me the other way as he did pull me over. He didn't do me any freaking favor - he made me sit there for 20 minutes. He realized he was wrong and he let me go. I don't know what that other guys story was so I'm done with this.

I've gotten pulled over lots of times - I live in NY. I've gotten ticketed lots of times. I've gotten frisked, my car searched, you name it. Sometimes it's valid, sometimes it's way off. When it's way off I get really pissed. If I can help someone else who's getting screwed by an often corrupt system and I can help, I'd like to. That's the reason of this post.

I once parked my car in a perfectly legal spot in the city (that I had parked at countess times before) while I spent the night at my girlfriends. The next morning they changed the signs on the block and towed my car. Btwn the ticket and the towing it cost me around $400 to get my car back. I fought it and lost. I wish someone would have taken my back.
  15. 1. You don't have a ticket and fine.
    2. You now know that street is indeed one-way, and will never go down it the wrong way again.

So, actually, two favors!
  16. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Move to NY for 6 months. It'll change yer thinking. :)
  17. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I've had nothing, but good experiences with cops around here. They usually are real nice to me, give me warnings instead of tickets even if I deserve them or even at times lowering my speed down to 20 so I won't be put down for reckless. I think being polite and taking responsibility when a cop pulls you over goes a long way. The guy definitely had to be mouthing off and such.
  18. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I'm in the police explorers (program for youth who want to go into LE when they're older), and I've seen people who were issued infractions because they were being a complete jerk to the officer. One of the officers I was riding with told me that the person's attitude is one of the deciding factors if he gets a ticket or a verbal warning.

I would have to say that all the officers I have rode with on ridealongs were very professional. That's not to say they're perfect though. I've seen a few small instances where an officer was just plain rude to someone who was completely nice to them. He could've been having a bad day; cops are people too.

Joe: Sorry you've had so many bad run-ins with cops. My cousin who is 26 lives in NYC, and he was actually wrongly arrested once. He was out fishing at 2 AM with some friends when a few officers approached at gunpoint and took him in for "armed robbery". My cousin called his older brother to come down to the precinct, and a few hours and much talking later, the officers found out they had taken in the wrong guy. How that happened I'm not sure, since if they had run his license first it would've showed that he had no wants/warrants out for him. Apparently he looked like the guy they wanted, so they made a mistake. My cousin was considering filing a formal complaint, but figured it wasn't worth the time.

19. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Since this is turning into a police story thread of sorts, my favorite one with myself was this:

Locked myself out of my house. Drove to my brother's to get spare keys he had. I'm driving home and a car races in front of me and cuts me off. I curse at the a-hole as he blocks me so I can't go. 2 guys get out of the car. I'm thinkin there's gonna be a fight here now, and I'm gonna get my butt kicked cuz there's 2 of them, one of me, and they're considerably bigger. They flash FBI badges and ask me to step out of the car. I do. They ask if I mind them frisking me, yet tell me if I do mind, they'll have to take me down to the station. I'm stupidly nervous cuz I have no idea what's going on and agree. They ask if there's anything I have in the car that I'd like to tell them about and if I mind them searching it. I say, "Aside from the coke and dead body in the trunk, I've nothing to hide." They were mildly amused - yet searched the car anyhow. I kept asking them what this was about, my catholic school guilt telling me they've actually got something on me. They finally tell. They were staking out a drug dealer on my brother's block and thought my little key exchange was s drug exchange. They apologized when they found nothing and I told them the deal.
  20. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002

Well you're right about one thing Joe. I shouldn't have read the thread. I think I'll be swearing off cop threads for a while. As far as "knuckleheads", I consider that a pretty mild term. If you took offense, I apologize. Look...all you cop bashers get one thing straight. I'm well aware there are A-holes in the profession. There are quite a few guys I work with that I wouldn't give the time of day off duty because they are A-holes.
    But again, the constant whining does grow tiring.