Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A coupla Canucks

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Damon Rondeau, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Folks, I've been ignoring updating the page for a while and I hope I haven't offended either of these two fine fellows who are now posting samples:
    • Adrian Juras -- tasty drummerless trio work
    • Brian Kobayakawa -- fine new acoustic string music

There is some very fine playing there by these two sons of Ontario. I regret I held on to 'em for too long. Now go check 'em out!

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Brian, I have to say I am most impressed with the sound of your group(and you as well of course!). The recording is incredibly open sounding. The bass sounds great man. Clear and present.

3. Brian K

Brian K Supporting Member

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Adrian, I just listened to your "Someday My Prince...".

Right on. Great trio, great recording. Your tone is so warm, and you really keep the momentum moving. Who needs drummers! Bravo. Let me know when you're playing in Toronto.

I figured I might as well put a link to the sampler here http://www.talkingblues.net/talkinbass.html

4. Brian K

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    I just noticed some of the info on Damon's page about my tunes is incorrect. The piece Jimmy Ain't so Fancy that is on the TBSampler page is on the Side Two album. Of the streaming tunes on www.creakingtree.com, tracks 1-4 are from Side Two, while tracks 5 and 6 are from our self-titled debut, which is the only album nominated for any awards (so far!). The Battle for Alveolar Ridge is another composition of mine, and Merlin's Gate is my first crack at an improvised arco solo.

I would love it if those of you that take some time to listen could post some critiques and constructive criticism.

5. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey Brian.

Just listened to some tunes. You and the group sound great. Some great group dynamics and improv. I really liked Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Didn't mind the ARCO solo, it was short. Were you going for the short and sweet???

I really like your sound and awareness. Good mix of pizz and arco, soft and loud, clank and no clank and even got some electric in :D

Great group dynamics.

Enjoyed your comps as well.

PS-CDbaby is out of the new CD :)

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Brian,

Just listened to "Jimmy Ain't so Fancy" and enjoyed it a lot. I like the way the instrumental timbres interact, especially the shimmer of the high strings, the grit of the fiddle, and the low darkness of the bass. Nice solo, too.

My only complaint is baggage from my own misguided youth of the 70's and 80's: where the progression goes to the bVII chord, the melody reminds me of Eddie Money's "Two Tickets to Paradise"...I can't shake it! Not your fault, though - and yet one more reason not to listen to Eddie Money. :eyebrow:

Nice work!

7. I just heard the album(2002 release) and it's great stuff. I can't wait to actually hear the group this summer at the St. John's Jazz Festival.

8. Brian K

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Uh oh. It was last summer we played the St. John's Jazz Festival.

This summer we're going the other direction, all the way to the Yukon. Sorry!

Hopefully we'll be back in the Maritimes in the fall.

9. I just listened to Brian and Adrian's recordings and I'm quite impressed. There's definitely some wonderful music being created here in the Great White North. My only complaint is that, after hearing these guys, I concluded that I suck! Oh well, I'll just keep trying. Congrats.

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    A good way to"keep trying" would be to get away from writing out parts.

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Damn, I love these popcorn moments!

12. Now Ed, we've already that discussion, remember? (The writing of parts will continue until other aspects have improved.)
    Did you enjoy the recordings?

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Again, the point is that working on actually improvising a part will actually work to improve other attributes.

My computer speakers are for crap, so I haven't listened to anything lately. I may try downloading some things and burning a CD to take home and listen.

14. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am not completely thrilled with my playing/tone on that tune, so I wouldn't worry about burning it on a cd! Brian's playing is wonderful however!

15. If I'm not mistaken, you've had those "crap" speakers for sometime now (I recall your posting along those lines about 2 years ago). A musician of your (alleged) caliber without proper tools? Shame on you! I'll see if I can't busk a bit this weekend and take up a collection so as to buy you a pair of un-crap speakers.

16. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Now I feel ashamed too!
    I have a hard time with nowdays 5.1 format, since I'm from the ole stereo equipment days. The sound demos at computer stores make me puke on the spot, and as soon as you say the word hifi, the guy talks $$$. The result of that situation is that thru all the system upgrades I kept the crummy packardBell multimedia monitor because those two intregrated speaker ain't too bad afterall...

But I would really appreciate suggestions for amplified speakers than would reproduce correctly the DB sound without outrageously coloring it. Price is a concern too, if I don't have a flat screen yet, it's because I prefer a new set of strings...

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    M-Audio BX5's. Sometimes they go on sale, or sometimes you can find 'em on eBay. Sound really nice with a reasonable footprint and price.

18. I have two reasonably good computer speaker systems that should be available on the used market for cheap. The best is the Sony PC300D system with two small 5W speakers and a 15W subwoofer reflex enclosure. This is circa 1995 stuff, but great sounding. It goes well with my PowerMacintosh 7500 hotrod. It has enough bass to do Jimmy Garrison justice. Extras are that it will take input from 2 systems and play either one or mix the two. It has a headphone jack and a separate volume control for the subwoofer.

The system on my PC is smaller, circa 1999, and no sub woofer (Jimmy sounds OK, Ron Carter sounds more like himself), but is still pretty kick for compact desktop speakers. They are Cambridge Soundworks SBS52, which are mini ported reflex enclosures. Think of these as desktop "smaller Advent loudspeakers". If you are familiar with the classic "Kloss" type of sound, these have it. Either of these sets is loud enough to play along with unamped. The Sony with the subwoofer is the best for the lows of course.

One day, I'll trade the medicine ball monitors in, but I'm keeping my speakers. :)