A couple 6 strings that caught my eye...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GSRLessard14, Feb 1, 2006.

1. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    ...dunno if they're worth my time though.

I've caught the 6 string bug and since my Carl Thompson 4 string is being made, I don't have a lot of cash to play around with... but I don't want to buy something that I'm going to get bored with and want to replace. There's a Brice 6 for sale and a Tune 6. Super cheap for 6s, perhaps rightfully so?

Brice Bass Guitar 6 String Brice New Defiant 6 Nat
    # A slim line, dual cutaway, contoured solid Alder body with headstock that matches the finish
    # Long scale neck (35") increases string tension and helps eliminate the "floppy" low B string.
    # Highly figured Bubinga finish
    # String-thru-bridge design for maximum attack and sustain
    # Improved electronics with active pickups with active/passive pull tap, bass, treble, balance and volume controls
    # Separate battery compartment lets you change batteries quickly
    # 5 pc maple neck with rosewood reinforcements and adjustable truss rod and 6-bolts for incredible stability
    # Contoured heal fore easy access to the upper frets and slotted body for comfortable play
    # Rosewood fretboard with 24 jumbo frets and side of the neck position makers
    # Brushed Nickel Hardware and brass nut
    # Wider string spacing for more comfortable play: Width of the neck is 2 ¼" at the nut and 3 5/8" at the 24th fret. String spacing is 3 5/8" at the bridge. Thickness is 21mm at the nut and 23.5mm at the 12th fret.
    # Overall length: 44 1/2" not including the strap button
    # Actual Weight is only lbs 9 lbs

The other is just listed as a Tune 6 string bolt on, in great condition. $550.

2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Considering you play 2 Modulus basses and have a CT on order, I assume you're considering these low end 6's just to wet your whistle a bit?

The Brice Defiant is a new model from Rondo. I had a chance to play it for about 10 minutes over the weekend on the floor at Rondo, no idea how it would play live or in a recording. It was set up kind of okay, but I would have lowered the action somewhat and the intonation on the demo was out a little bit.

All that said, I wasn't overly impressed. I almost always have a Brice 6 of some sort that I use for rehearsals (right now I have an HXB406), but this bass didn't do it for me. Sound wise, it was just like the HXB's to my ears, neck felt the same, not sure about the pups but they seemed to be the same.

Considering your other axes are all nice, you might want to look at the Brice Prestige Z6. The bass is about $450 but is miles above either the HXB or Defiant in quality. It doesn't feel or play like a cheap POS.

Sorry, don't know much about the Tune, other than what I read about there being a good Tune and a cheap knock-off Tune on the market. I have no idea which one you're looking at.
  3. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I agree with Pointbass on the Brice basses. I had an HXB and I liked it until I played......... the Tune TWX 6 string. I have the knockoff model from Sam Ash but I have to say that she does not look, play, or sound cheap. I traded my Brice to get the Tune and I have to say she is a step up from the Brice. Better construction and wider string spacing which lately has become a big deal for me. The Tune also has 3 band eq, brass nut, and versatile preamp with pickup gain trim pots and a switchable mid notch filter. Many people have tried to buy it from me and I refuse. Eveytime I get ready to get rid of it I plug her in and slap myself for thinking that way!!!!!!!
  4. If I were you I wouldn't bother with either of those if you don't want to get bored and replace them. Just wait until you have the money to buy what you really want. According to your profile you're interested in the Modulus Quantum 6. I used to own a Quantum 5 and I've played many a Quantum 6, and I can tell you there is no substitute for that sound. It's one of the best sixers made. You can often find good deals on them secondhand, and you don't have to worry as much about their condition used because they're tough as nails. I recently scored a Flea 5 with jazz pickups on EBay (I prefer a slimmer neck profile then the Quantums' personally) for $1500 and it was in MINT condition. They often go for a good deal less. You just need to look around a bit. Anyways, I think you might be better served looking to put together a real amp rig before you splurge on more basses. And congrats on the CT, I always wanted to order one but couldn't deal with the wait time with the amount of money you have to put up. FWIW :)
  5. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Thanks for the replies dudes. just for the hell of it, here are the two 6s i was talking about:

I'm not sure if i want a Q6 anymore.. i've kind of overdosed on modulus/graphite necks... i'm going to see carl this weekend.. I'm sure once I play some of his instruments I will not rest until every bass in my arsenal is a CT. :hyper:
  6. Well, if you've got $550 to kick around, I suggest to check out an Ibanez SR series bass, they're great bang for the buck basses, and get the job done. I snatched my SR406 up off eBay for about 2/3 of what a new SR506 goes for. (Great playing bass, but the B is a little too thick for me, a little on the floppy side if you ask me. Guess I'll go thinner gauge on new strings. :D)

Also, if you're not into Ibanez, Spector has the Legend series which I think goes for around this much, if not a bit more towards $600. Also, another great 6 string that's hard to beat for the price.

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    You mean after all those PMs we swapped you STILL haven't bought yourself a Rickenbacker bass???? Oh man..... :scowl:

Just kidding ;)
  8. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT

hahaha, sorry bill. couldn't bring myself to do it! I still would love to have one though... even my Carl Thompson will have a different tone than a rick, so maybe i'll get one eventually. Les still breaks out his rick instead of his CTs sometimes because of the ric tone. :hyper: