A Couple Cool Basses For Sale Near Me - Which One and Why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarMar, Nov 2, 2020.

1. MarMar

MarMar Inactive

Sep 9, 2020
    For a few months, I've been in the mood to add to my very small collection of basses and gear. It seems lots of gear is popping up for sale and I am not sure if it has to do with the virus or what. Some of my recent cool finds were a MIK Squier II P Bass and a Sears brand BGA 28 combo amp. I made the mistake of buying a Hohner Baron Bass with a broken truss rod in the neck, but my local luthier explained to me what to do when buying basses from strangers next time.

Two cool basses have shown up for sale in my area recently. I was wondering which one sounds more appealing and why.

Bass one - MIK Ibanez TR 50. It looks beautiful and it is being sold by a guy who appears to be a gigging musician with a huge collection of everything from fancy basses down to Squiers. However, I think he is asking a little much for it based on what these have sold for before. Is the peace of mind buying from someone who probably knows what he's doing worth a little more money? Or is that bass just not that valuable? I did some research on the Ibanez TR 50 and it is hard to find much. The one in question has P style pickups, a beautiful cream/off white body, black pickguard but it doesn't go down all the way like a Fender, and the best part - beautiful glossy maple fretboard very much like my MIK Squier II. Furthermore, someone else in my area is selling the same bass for a significantly lower price, but theirs doesn't looks as nice and I don't know anything about that person.

Bass two: SX PJ sunburst with the pretty maple fingerboard. Also this is short scale which is perfect for me. My favorite bass that I own is my Fender Musicmaster because it is just so comfortable for me. The price on this seems fair, the bass looks beautiful, the person is including a gig bag, cheap cable, strap, etc. and I think I would rather get a cheap used SX than pay $300 or whatever for a brand new SX. People say these are decent basses but I don't know anything. The seller does not appear to be a gigging musician with dozens of basses like the one guy with the one Ibanez TR-50. But once again, the price seems great, and the stuff included like the gig bag, cable, strap, etc. is worth something I think.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I can grab some pictures if you think it would help. They both have some decent pictures (and the third one which is the 2nd Ibanez TR-50 in reference).

DJ Bebop and jd56hawk like this.
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Not for nothing, but people are asking too much for 4 out of 5 used basses, it seems.
    I've passed up several for this very reason and simply waited for bargains because they do still exist. I saved $100 on a brand new Epiphone Thunderbird Vintage Pro two weeks ago and maybe $700 on a used custom G&L L2000...a used bass that was only one month old!
    If you're comfortable paying too much for something you want, go for it, but if you're not in a rush, wait a few weeks. I have to believe prices will be coming down the closer we get to Christmas, especially if state after state starts shutting down again. Looks like it's definitely going to happen here in Jersey.

fhm555 and MarMar like this.
  3. MarMar

MarMar Inactive

Sep 9, 2020
    It's not looking good here in PA either as far as staying open goes. The Ibanez guy already came down 25 bucks but he says his price is "firm". It's still maybe 25-50 bucks too high in my opinion, but like I said, peace of mind buying from a guy who seems to play way more bass than I do might be worth that.

On the other hand, I am keeping an eye on that short scale sunburst SX with P and J pickups. I kind of want to shoot him a message and see if he's willing to lower his price, but he just listed it yesterday and I don't want him to know that I am very interested in it. :cool:

DJ Bebop and jd56hawk like this.
  4. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    Out of what you listed....the SX.

Clipped, DJ Bebop and Volker Kirstein like this.
  5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    The Ibanez TR bass is a budget model, really nothing special, not a bad bass mind you but it was a budget bass to begin with. If overpriced, I would trust your gut and maybe pass on it. Just because he plays a lot or owns a lot of basses doesn't really mean anything. I've seen lemons and overpriced basses from guys who have a massive collection of basses, they're not beyond overcharging or being unrealistic in pricing their basses, they want to get the most money for it just like any other person.
    The SX is about the same quality as the TR bass, seems to check more boxes on your list, good size, price and comes with extras. By all means, be open to other options you may see but between the two, sounds like the SX might be the better choice.

JRA, MarMar and Volker Kirstein like this.
  6. Eilif

Eilif Grooving under the MDW runway.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    A new short scale SX is $200 with bag.
    Rondo Music Bass Guitars
    I find it hard to imagine spending over 100-150 for a used SX.

Really though it sounds like you're experiencing GAS and looking at instruments that aren't any better then what you already own. Save your cash a bit longer and buy something better.

Clark W, Methaneman, Freddy T and 9 others like this.
  7. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    +1
    If they are the same price, I'd go for the Ibanez.

Not sure how much the "gigging musician" is asking for the Ibby TR 50, But when I searched the bass, I found 2 used ones for sale for $179. This is from retailers used, where the price is usually higher than the streets.

If hes asking somewhere around that, Id go for the Ibanez.
    Or just hang in there, something else in your range will come along.
    Not sure where you live, but I would check Guitar center Used. You'll find something decent in the range your looking for, instead of just choosing between whatever pops up locally..just because it popped up locally.

Good luck.

T$

MarMar likes this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I know, I just saw the latest.
    I'm right across the river and I shell out $4 for the bridge just to go to Giant supermarket and buy donuts. A seemingly trivial thing, but...

I'd like to try out the SX just for peace of mind.
    Always hear good things about them here.

mikewalker and MarMar like this.
  9. Eilif

Eilif Grooving under the MDW runway.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    That is a good point. SX can be a bit variable in terms of QC (I've had 4 and a couple Brice's). If my heart was set on SX and the price was right, I'd rather buy a used SX in person than order a new one.

Really though as the price of SX's has ticked up a bit, it now makes more sense for someone wanting a sub-$200 Fender'ish bass to buy an Ibanez TMB100. It's a great bass, with better QC that's common enough that you can almost always find several to try out in-person.

As relates to the OP's preferences, the shortscale TMB30 is only $189!

mikewalker, jd56hawk and MarMar like this.
  10. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    That Ibanez man wants a little big more than it should be, but maybe there are some reasons - a very good instrument.

MarMar likes this.
  11. It always amazes me when a seller lists a bass on FB or CL or for more than I can buy it new from GC, MF, or Sweetwater. I once made an offer on a Mustang that was a fair offer for a used bass. The seller turned me down so I bought it at Adorama for less than what I offered the seller. Every bass on my GAS list has come up for sale at some point. A couple years ago I bought a mint TMB100 for fifty bucks. You just have to be patient and bide your time.

Occasionally I see a bargain, but it’s usually gone before I can arrange to pick up.

MarMar and mikewalker like this.
  12. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    Having sold a load of basement gear in the past couple of years on CL, I discovered that if I listed it for sale for the same or slightly under what it listed for on Reverb, the stuff never sold and I just got a bunch of stupid pointless communications regarding my post. If I posted it for $100-200 under what it listed for on Reverb, then I got a real buyer instantaneously, with no hassle. That's just a rule of thumb I experienced, to whatever extent that helps you do your deals.

The shorty seems cool.

MarMar, mikewalker and DJ Bebop like this.
  13. I have a few SX basses that are great, I would choose the SX myself :)

MarMar and DJ Bebop like this.
  14. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Not for $300 bucks, IMHO.

15. mikewalker

mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Best to try before you buy, but you said short scale is perfect for you, so ... SX!

MarMar and DJ Bebop like this.
  16. Myself, I'd do the SX PJ. Especially if they are willing to move on price.

MarMar likes this.
  17. MarMar

MarMar Inactive

Sep 9, 2020
    Thank you everyone for the thoughtful responses. I was thinking since I like short scale, wouldn't it make more sense to check out the used SX short scale PJ and if I like it, buy that, rather than buy a new one for much more money? This one looks hardly used and if I wanted to sell it, it would be easier to recoup my money if I didn't buy a new one. A new one would likely not resell for what I paid for it new. Does that make sense?

It also seems the Ibanez TR 50 has some fans. Then we also have the "these aren't nice instruments" crowd here. That's fine. I expected an array of responses. I believe you don't need a $1000 bass to sound good or play well.

18. Skillet

Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    I wouldn't rush into anything. There are Mountains of used gear out there. Searching Guitar Center's used listings is a great idea. They'll ship to your local store for 'not a lot'. Also, you can search Reverb and Ebay by location/city. There might be other good buys in your market.

Methaneman and MarMar like this.
  19. Trailertrash74

Trailertrash74 Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2020
    Florence AL
    This SX is one of my favorite inexpensive basses. I purchased it used and it took a little work to get it set it up the way a wanted it but after that it turned out to be a great player. It's a full scale that plays like a short scale and it's very light. I love the arch top and concaved back....it fits my belly!!!
    SX.jpg

MarMar likes this.
  20. MarMar

MarMar Inactive

Sep 9, 2020
    Don't they say it's better to buy from a local small shop than Guitar Center? I do know that Guitar Center sometimes offers some great deals.

This thing is awesome. I've never seen an SX bass that looks like this. They usually look like Fender copies I thought.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022