Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A couple finishing Q's

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dave120, Jan 2, 2006.

1. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Well I've taken a big interest in working on these things lately and getting my basses to where I like them by replacing parts/doing setups, etc. So now i'm wanting to take this to the next step and try a little fretwork and finishing.

I plan to buy a cheap SX neck ($40) and see what I can do with it fret-wise. I also figure while i'm at it I can experiment with some finishing since I like all black necks but they're hard to find without ordering one custom for an insane amouint of money.

I've been working with custom auto stuff for a long time and have a lot of experience doing prep work and painting both with rattle cans as well as paint guns. Is the concept mostly the same? I work with wood once in a while but mostly metal. Do I sand and prep a guitar neck pretty much the same way? And after it's done do I wetsand it, etc to clean it up and smooth it out or is there another way of doing that?

Any tips would be appreciated!