1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A couple finishing Q's

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dave120, Jan 2, 2006.

1. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Well I've taken a big interest in working on these things lately and getting my basses to where I like them by replacing parts/doing setups, etc. So now i'm wanting to take this to the next step and try a little fretwork and finishing.

I plan to buy a cheap SX neck ($40) and see what I can do with it fret-wise. I also figure while i'm at it I can experiment with some finishing since I like all black necks but they're hard to find without ordering one custom for an insane amouint of money.

I've been working with custom auto stuff for a long time and have a lot of experience doing prep work and painting both with rattle cans as well as paint guns. Is the concept mostly the same? I work with wood once in a while but mostly metal. Do I sand and prep a guitar neck pretty much the same way? And after it's done do I wetsand it, etc to clean it up and smooth it out or is there another way of doing that?

Any tips would be appreciated!