Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A couple of cool Modulus basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Akito, Jul 9, 2005.

1. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    that second one is just nuts. The top and neck are just beautifull!

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That second one makes me want a 6 stringer really bad!

3. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    that 6er has gas scribbled all over it

4. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
  5. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
  6. My bass teacher has a blue six string TBX just like the one they're selling...it's probably one of my favorite basses to play...it just sings

7. Ooh that second one is gorgeous!

8. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Your Modulus is just perfect with black hardware. Extremely classy! I still regret not getting a red tinted TBX I really liked 10 years ago. I didn't know Modulus would stop making them. Back in the day, Modulus would make custom instruments. Wish I had the money and motivation back then!
    I also think that 7 stringer is pretty neat!

9. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Modulus basses are incredibly high quality. i REALLY don't want to spoil the party, but status basses feel much better in my hands than a modulus. especially a status stealth, which to date is the best bass i've played (playability wise).

But that second modulus is a work of bloody art! :rolleyes:

10. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Thank you! I DO enjoy it VERY much. I can't think of anything I want to do to spice it up.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I didn't know you could tint carbon necks like that. WOW!

12. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    They are very sexy!

But too dear!

Tryxx, you lucky duck.

13. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    hows the sound? arent the necks made of some funky stuff?

14. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    if it was about $700 lower i'd be bidding on it (not that it's not worth it, but I don't have the $$$)- i played one of those a LONG time ago and always will lust after one... and i believe you can still get the necks tinted from modulus :bassist:

15. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Jeeeze.........I've got a Q6 TBX fretless........that would go real nice next to it.........but nah. I'm happy with my fretted basses. There's no need.

Now, is there some way that I can block that web address so I can't look at it anymore? :help:

Necks are carbon fiber composite, AKA "graphite".

The sound is kinda hard to describe.......it's "all" there, the highs, the lows, the mids. Some folks love 'em, some folks don't. The neck-throughs (TBX models) tend to sound deeper than the bolt-ons.

Also, from what I've heard, TBX's were built special-order only, so they often have all the options - very high grade tops, bartolini quad-coils, etc.

(that blue TBX appears to have the bart quad-coil option. The 2 switches have 3 positions which select the coil configuration for each pickup.)

The TBX's fetch higher prices because of their sound, their rarity, and the flat-out drool factor.

16. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    As far as sound goes, like it was stated, it's all there. I don't know if you'd call it a "hi-fi" sound or anything, but it is naturally bright. The sound itself simply feels "smooth" and dynamic. It's hard to tell when a note is going to start or stop. The definition of everynote is pretty much the same all down the fretboard, and with a little tweaking of the EQ you can bring about almost any sound you want.

I have the Bartolini NTMB pre-amp in my Q6. With the a few simple tweaks, I can go from an almost piano like tone, to a different sort of bass growl. If you've heard the song "Getting Away with Murder" by Pappa Roach, I'd say that naturally, the bass does the sound of that intro perfectly. To me it's a sort of industrial sound bound by no limitations, it can be pretty much anything you want. You just have to hear it. If I had some better recording equipment I'd attempt to make an example, but right now all I have is a crappy soundcard.

If you want specifics, it'd probably be better to ask me questions to answer, it's hard for me to write about them all! :p

17. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
  18. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    All I can say is WOW! The bidding was VERY fierce for the TBX. I would have loved to bag it but it was way out of my $$$ range right now + the fact I couldn't physically play/examine it. I can't believe it got almost 3K!!! I've been looking to score one for quite some time & had a chance a few years back for a red 5'er for $1200!!! STUPID me snoozed & lost...

Anyways, hope the bass was all it was hyped about(would've LOVED to a/b'd it against my Zon), & as far as the fellow rating it "8.8", I disagree. From the blems & "minor" faults, it was in good condition.

Also, why would anyone trade it for a newer bolt-on Modulus when they already had the "cream of the crop"??? AND the dude selling decided he wanted a "drum set"???...strange...

out,
    ~S~