a couple of fender price tips

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Mar 27, 2001.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    as said i decided to buy a fender precision. i have found two magnificent exemplar. they are boty in great shape. both maple neck as i desider with black finish and black pickguard. the first is an amazing lightweight precision fron 1974 or 1973 complete with the original chrome cover for pickup and bridge. the second is heavier and is dated 1978 without covers. i'd like to have suggestion about the price because for me here in italy it's hard to have a good idea about that. the guys demand 1400$ for the first and 1150$ for the second. remembber that prices are really higher here in europe and mostly in italy. can you tell me how much is a good price for them in the usa? thanks.
  2. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
  3. Barroso, I've always known that prices were a lot higher in England, so it would make sense that they're even higher in Italy. I'd also imagine that there's less of a selection there. How many music stores are there near you? I'm no expert, but those prices sound pretty close to market value. Always try to bargain.

Mike J.
  4. BassGurl42

Oct 8, 2000
    Muskegon, MI
    that sounds right to me

5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    dear micheal italian trouble is not the number of music instrument shop. the trouble is what they sell. i live near milan that is tha most 'international' city here in italy so we have shops, but they are full of ibanez, warwick, cort, mexican fender and japanese stuff. nothing personal against them , but i like old basses. to find my rick i awaited a lot and it's hard to find even a good precision. luckly there is a vintage little shop in a small town near mine. i found all my equipment there, even if prices are not so low. for my '80 rick i paid 950$ and the two precisions stocked are a wonderful '74 listed 1400$ and a wonderful '78 listed 1200$. i have absolutely no idea of what i'll do...buy or not?
  6. Barroso, when you take everything into consideration, I guess those prices aren't that high.
    The #1 reason is that everything that is Fender, and old is worth $$$$. Here in NYC there's a good guitar shop called Matt Umanov's. Until only a week
    ago, they had two really old Fenders in the window.
    Are you ready for these prices?

A 1965 Fender Precision Bass --- not in the best condition, but all original --- $3,495.00

A Jazz Bass ( I'm not sure of the year ) Red with
    the headstock also painted red from the factory in
    almost mint condition --- $ 4,000.00

If you can wait, the guy might lower his price a little. Have you considered a Precision Bass re-issue? The price might be high, but, you would be getting a brand new bass. In time the right bass will present itself.

Good Luck,
    Mike J.
  7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    ;) ;) If you order me a bass, I'll get you one from musiciansfriend.com and ship it to yah. ;) ;)
  8. Last time I was in UK I saw a far from mint (but completely original) '63 jazz bass at Andy's in Denmark street. Asking price was 5000 quid (7500 dollars).

I mean, WHY? Lovely as old jazz basses are, they are not worth that. You could buy a matching pair of Sadowskys with all the trimmings for that, and still have cab fare home.

Anyway, the prices you quote seem good to me and if they were good basses and I had the money I'd go for them.
  9. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    even if you order a bass for me at musiciansfriend.com and then you ship to me, a big trouble remains. when the bass will arrive here in italy i'll have to buy an additional tax approx the 25% of the bass value as italian tax. and this sucks.