A Couple of New Rig Questions, Advice needed.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gasjim, Aug 20, 2005.

1. gasjim

Aug 20, 2005

I'm looking to buy a new bass rig. I'm pretty set on a Hartke 3500 head wise but have a couple of cab related questions.

I'm gonna go for a 1X15 to start and then add a 2x10 when finances dictate. My first query was does cab weight affect sound/tone greatly? I've tried a Peavey BX 1x15 which sounded great but it weighs like 80 pounds (Not much less than me). Haven't yet tried a lighter 50-60lb cab yet so can't judge myself at the mo...

This may also sound daft but is there any way you can use a combo amp as a cab? I've a Laney HCM65B with a 1x12 speaker. This is isn't intended as a long term solution just to get me through until I can get the proper cabs. Would this be safe to do or am I risking damage to the combo?

Any advice greatly appreciated..

Gasjim :bassist:
  2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I got some cab suggestions for ya dude.

Go check out avatar speakers here you will be amazed at the quality, consruction, and customer service Dave puts out

He makes high quality cabs for remarkable prices, you can also buy the hartke 3500 head from his site as well, it would probably be cheaper to do so as well.

Check out the B212 it is a 2 12'' speaker cab and can handle 1000 watts. Don't worry though, some of the guys on here power it with no more than 300 watts so it is very efficient (which means it dosn't have to work as hard as other cabs to get the same amount of volume out of the speakers)

But before you go and buy stuff, could ya tell us if you have a budget, and if you do, how much money can you spend?

What type(s) of music do you play, are you going to be gigging alot?

Answeres these questions and we can help ya out even more!

But most defenitly check out the avatar cabs, hopefully some more guys will chime in and tell ya how great they are.

Hope ya find something you like!

3. gasjim

Aug 20, 2005
    Cheers for the info man.

Forgot to mention that I'm located in England, checked out the Avatars but they can't deliver to Europe.

I have a budget of about £200-£250 per cab for the mo. Got a couple of gigs lined up playing covers, Led Zep, Stones, Talking Heads, Bob Marley, Doors amongst others. I'm also playing in a band playing originals, it's quite melodic stuff, sound wise we're quite like current RHCP with quite clean choppy guitar. We're currently recording demos and hope to be gigging by the end of the year.

What do you think about the cab weight issue? Also is it safe to use the combo as a temp cab just for practise?

Gasjim :bassist:
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland

You could also get cabs from Hartke (a 2.5XL and 115XL will pair up nicely under the 3500).