1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A couple of questions about resonant frequencies and dead notes

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dan_reeves, May 2, 2018.

1. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    I just recently made two purchases that have me a little perplexed...

I bought:
    • A used Fender Rumble 75, and
    • A used Squier Affinity Jazz bass
    The Rumble is the most powerful amp I have ever owned. My gigs are all in churches that have professional audio systems and monitoring. I honestly have only ever owned small practiced amps. I have always wanted something better, I just never really had a need per se. It sounds great and I am really glad I bought it.

The Jazz bass was an impulse buy - got it for $90. It still had the plastic on the pickguard. Looks brand new. Plays great and sounds good too. I did not have a jazz in the arsenal, so this was a nice and inexpensive pick up.

I practice in my basement. I am pretty sure the room resonates at G - F# to G# tends to be a lot louder than other notes, and this is true for all of my basses, which includes three different Ibanezes. What’s weird is that E notes are noticeably quieter, regardless of which E I play. If I just play the bass acoustically, everything sounds even, albeit unamplified. But when I plug in, an E note anywhere sounds quieter. Sustain seems fine.

Does this just sound like a room acoustics quirk? Or do you think its a cheap bass quirk? On my Ibanezes the G is loud but the E is unaffected. If its the bass, would a neck swap help? Should I move my amp somewhere else? If it matters, I use Pro Steels in regular light gauge - I read in another thread that sometimes heavier strings can help? What should I do? Thanks!!!

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Three different basses and a reputable amp? Its the room.

lz4005 likes this.
  3. nbsipics

nbsipics It's the Bass that makes them Dance Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Get some bass traps and find out?

4. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    Had no idea what these were amd had to look them up. I have some foam lying around from my wife’s crafts and may try it.

5. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    I would have thought that too, with the exception of the weird E note issue. It was only on the Jazz.