1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A couple of questions about the Fender "Geddy Lee" Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikeyd74, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    I've searched the threads and I can't seem to find these answers. I also asked in the Geddy Lee Jazz Club but I haven't gotten a response.
    I've been going back and forth between two different stores trying out the Geddy Lee Jazz. One store has one with a better setup with junky strings and the other store has one that has slightly higher action with better strings, they're probably Rotosounds actually. They both play great and sound great, but one feels slightly more solid then the other. It's not a matter of the playablity feeling more solid, it's more of just when you hold it in your hands. I don't know if it's my imagination or not. Of course the one that feels more solid is slightly more expensive then the other store and you really can't haggle at all with either store anymore.
    I've read that the early Geddy Lee Jazz models had issues with the tuning heads and neck stability. I'm wondering if the more solid feeling/more expensive bass is the newer model.
    Can you tell by looking at the tuning heads if it's the older model? I looked at the back of the less solid feeling/less expensive bass and took note of it's appearance. I still haven't gone back to the other store yet to compare.
    Also, do any of the Geddy Lee Jazz basses have an "F" or "Fender" stamp on the neck plate? The one I looked at today did not have it. Are there any apparent visual differences that separate the older models from the newer models?

2. I'm not a Geddy Lee expert, but the serial numbers may be able to tell you which is older.

3. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    I did think of that actually.
    I tried to take a picture with my cell phone of the back of the headstock but a salesman flew over and said, "It's against store policy to take pictures." How's that for anal retentive?
    I'm terrible with remembering numbers so a picture was my only shot at getting the serial number.

4. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    You can probably go on Fenders website and look for each year they were made. I bought a used Geddy (love it by the way) and mine was from 2004. They did just jack up the prices so the more expensive one could very well be a more recent one.

Some things I have noticed is that although I did have to adjust my neck several times after I got it (late last October), I havent had to do anything to it since. I personally love the feel of the neck, and I have other basses too that are chunkier and I am ok with those too, but I am a fan. And, I have never had an issue with my tuners. They stay in tune throughout practices and gigs.

Solid bass all the way around.

Oh, and just take in a pen and piece of paper and if anyone gives you flack, tell THEM to tell you the year of the thing. You are after all possibly going to make a substantial purchase and want information.

5. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina

Use a pen and paper and write it down, or text msg it to yourself. A no-picture policy is not unusual. However, they can't possibly have an objection to checking S/N. Or better yet, ask if they got a computer that can take you to a website with S/N years right in the store.

Anyway, I've had my Geddy for several years now. I only need very minor neck-tension adjustments for the change of seasons. There are plenty of modern-style basses with necks as thin as the Geddy and no one freaks out about them. I guess everyone is so accustomed to the Fender baseball-bat necks, that they think the Geddy neck couldn't possibly be any good.

6. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    I have owned 4 Geddy's in my life and I never had any problems with the neck or anything else for that matter. The tuners are still the same, they aren't the highest quality but they work just fine. The older Geddy's had the "F" on the neckplate. I think they had that until 2003. IME all of my Geddy's were very consistent with each otherin quality, I don't think there is a "better" year. Some would argue that the older ones had real inlays, I had a 99 and the inlays were definitely painted on. Other than the neckplate and the serial number, I don't think there are any differences.
    I would ask the salesman to put new strings on both basses than try both and buy the one you like better.

7. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    I considered asking for a pen and paper, but after getting my hand slapped by the salesman I just didn't feel like being "friendly." But that's my own problem.

8. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, I got a brand new Squier VM Fretless and its barely (and I mean barely) thicker than the Geddy neck. I can jump back and forth all night, and do, and its like I am playing the same bass (neck thickness wise that is!)

9. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Mine is a #B00,production year, limited edition back plate model that I've had for about 7 years, and it's one of the nicest straight up passive Jazz basses I've ever owned. Mine needed some truss rod tweaks, a carefully done neck shim and bridge set up for action and intonation, along with some foam strips under the pickups to make them adjustable, but with all that said and done it's been one fine playing and sweet sounding J-Bass. I really haven't had to do much of anything once the general set up work was done beyond a couple of truss rod tweaks that finally took hold once the neck's wood settled in. I haven't seen any major problems develop neckwise with mine and I gig every week, besides rehearse and practice with it. I love my Geddy Lee as it's been a reliable well made bass overall.

10. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    I actually intended on getting the Squier VM J in the first place. Then I picked up the Geddy Lee and those plans changed immediately. The neck is extremely similar to the oldest/most played bass that I own, my Ibanez SR800.