A couple of quick questions about power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BLU Dragon, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Since I've been unable to get my SVT III to dependably drive a four ohm load, it looks like I'll be doing some gigging with my big concert rig (separate components). Unfortunately, I've loaned my power amp out to the band for PA duties, and we really need to keep using it where it is. So, looks like I'll be shopping for a new power amp.

I'm old enough to remember when buying a "professional quality" power amp meant either a Crest or a Crown. (I have a Crest.) Am I correct in assuming that QSC is now considered within that category, as far as ruggedness and dependability?

Also, one feature that I have found very useful on the Crest is the "parallel input switch." This is where you can plug a signal into the input on one side and have it drive both channels. Very handy. Crest still has that on their amps. Do any of the Crown or QSC amps have that feature?

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    QSC has the parrallel input but I'm not sure if Crown does or not. I would definitely consider the QSC to be in the league of the Crown and Crest amps and I've also found an less expensive brand that I feel can compete with the three big boys. It doesn't have the parallel inputs that you would like but hey, just get a cable with a single 1/4" adapter on one end that splits into a "Y" with two 1/4" connectors. That would effectively solve that problem. I'm referring to E&W Power Amps. A couple of guys on the forum recently bought a Phonic 2500 amp and they seem to be happy with it's performance. Either of the three major brands would be a great choice but there are some low cost high-quality amps out there. I guess it just depends on your budget. :)
  3. Thanks for the reply, ebozzz.
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'm not using a QSC power amp in my bass rig, but I'm running my band's monitors with a QSC power amp that is over 20 years old!

(Please don't ask me specifics about the amp, because most of the letters and numbers have worn off! :oops: )
  5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    No problem! I'd love to hear what you finally decide to pick up if time permits. Good luck.
  6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Now THAT is advertising. Can't get much better than when something gets so old everything wears off, but it still works. When "QSC" wears off, spraypaint it on there so people will see:D