Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A couple QSC questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pickles, Oct 19, 2004.

1. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've read some threads here indicating that there are a couple of different gain settings possible on the PLX series... If I order a PLX1602 from musician's friend, is it going to come configured to run with standard bass preamps? Or does it need a mod?

Also, just wanted to double check if it is safe to run it one-side-only.

Thanks

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    To answer question one...most likely yes...you can check the input sensitivity at www.qscaudio.com

Question no. 2...Yes you can operate only one channel at a time.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I run one channel on my PLX's a lot....no problem. What kind of preamp are you going to get? Lord valve usually has the best prices on QSC amps, and he can do the mods you might need.

4. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Most likely an ampeg, maybe an alembic or aggie. Or maybe and ampeg, and aggie, and an A/B box.

I got on Lord Valve's spam list, but havn't heard back yet. If you're not allowed to post what he wants for them, can you PM it to me?

Musician's Friend is $699 brand new with 6 year warantee, no tax, no shipping ... and theres a used one for sale in the classifieds right now for $450. I'm not sure that saving 250 bucks is worth it to go used ...

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    With the Aggie you might want the mod, I have a Aggie 659 & Demeter201, and the Demeter gives the QSC more juice than the Aggie does.

6. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Good to know ... maybe I'll just stick with the Ampeg.

7. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    I got my PLX used from LV, with the mod, but I only live 45 miles north of his shop. Getting anything fixed would be a skoosh.

Glenn D.

8. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    So if I get "the mod", it increaces the input sensitivity ... so I could still use hotter preamps, just turn them down a bit (and have higher s/n ratio), but then I have the option of using lower output pres. Where does the Alembic fall output wise?

Is this an approved factory change (can they be ordered that way), or is this something that just lord valve does?

9. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
  10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Yes, the level controls on a PLX are input sensitivity controls so you'll be fine with a hot preamp.

Yes, it's a factory approved mod. I ordered my PLX2402 from Life Effects Pro Audio in Oklahoma and needed a more sensitive amp (for my low output Pearce BC-1 preamp). Mark ordered it directly from QSC with custom sensitivity at no extra cost...I was told that traveling sound companies rarely want a standard amp, so it's something that QSC does a lot of.

Three years ago Mark's price was $50 or $75 less than Lord Valve...

11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I just ordered a PLX1602 with the "Q mod" from lord valve. Even with the Q mod he's $70 less than musician's friend.

I can't wait.

12. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Try everything. I have the Aggie 659 and while it doesn't provide too much juce for the QSC it's enough to properly power it and I LOVE the sound I get. The input sensitivity mod shoudn't be required for any bass preamp but for some (like the Aggie) it can be a good idea. I don't find any need for the mod.