Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a couple questions about phish

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by funkopotimus, Mar 22, 2001.

1. ok, i've heard a lot about them, so, everyone tell me there favourite phish songs i want to download some so i can decide if i like them, so i can pick up a c.d. or not.

so

1. favourite phish tune?

2.favourite phish album?

3.Have they got some like huge cult following?

i listened to one song about wheels of a car on the road or something...messed up, but it goes into some cool bass and keys thing, i like d it alot!

3. thats cool man, i'm shocked itsa friday and i got one reply to a phish thread, some cult following! :)

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    My fave Phish albums are Billy Breathes and The Story of the Ghost. Some really, really great bass playing on both of them. SOTG gets pretty funky... you can't go wrong with any of 'em though!

5. Maybe there aren't very many Phish fans that are posters on this board :rolleyes:

6. dude i wasnt being serious :rolleyes:

7. My favorite album is Billy Breathes. Phish is life for some people that I know.

8. wow, so there a pretty big deal. how'd they become that way?

9. Hey man no problem :0. They probably became so popular because they are always doing something new, they jam during concerts, play covers and stuff like that. They encourage tape recording their concerts and tape trading, so their fan base keeps growing.

10. thats very cool, so its a pretty like interactive thing i geuss? i can understand why that would be popular, i suppose it involves not getting full of yourselves and staying on the same level as the fans

11. Yea man definetly (sp?). Search on Napster (if you still can...) for "Heavy Things" because that song is awesome, or search Artist:phish Title: covers, that should return some stuff. Mike has a cool intro to "Down with Disease".

12. i9 found dozens of covers allready its crazy! and i'll go get that other one you mentioned now!

13. my favorite album is "a live one" favorite song is hard, i really like "waste" and "chalkdust torture" though.

by the way funko, that gin and juice cover is not by them.

14. oh, well i'm an idiot!

15. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    Funk,

My Phish favs:

Off Billy Breathes
    -Character Zero
    -Waste
    -Theme from the Bottom

Off Picture of Nectar:
    -Cavern
    -Llama
    -Guela Papyrus
    -Tweezer
    -Mango Song, oh Jesus the whole disk is great!

Off Lawn Boy:
    -Bouncing Around the Room
    -Reba
    -Squirming Coil
    -Melt

Off Hoist:
    -Down With Disease
    -Julius
    -If I Could
    -Wolfman's Brother
    -Sample in a Jar

Off Junta:
    -David Bowie
    -Fee
    -You Enjoy Myself
    can't remember other titles

Off Rift:
    Rift
    Maze
    Fast Enough for You

I don't have Story of the Ghost or Farmhouse. If you pick something up, I'd say Billy or Nectar.

16. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    All i've really heard by them is "Down With Disease" cuz a friend said "Hey man you really need to learn this song...really cool bass intro". So I said "OK" and downloaded it and learned it. It is a good song, but the intro is definitely the best part.

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    My favorite Phish album is "Rift". There's some real intricate stuff in that album, yet it's very unpretentious. Good vocals too!

Will C.:cool:

18. Phish is a great band and Mike is a great bass player. In my opinion, the best bass work from Mike is not found on any of their studio albums (although there is some great stuff recorded!). What I'm getting at is that the best stuff is found on the live recordings. Go lurk in rec.music.phish a while and respond to a newbie offer and get yourself some live stuff. It'll only cost you the price of a blank tape or CDR. www.phish.net has more info on trading if you're interested. Or, I have hours and hours of Phish on tape, so you can always ask me. I'd be glad to set you up with some good stuff.

BTW, Phish's fanbase is HUGE! The largest spectacle I've ever witnessed was the New Year's 2000 gig in Florida (also known as Phlorida :)). To ring in the millenium, over 80,000 people treked to the middle of nowhere out in the center of the Everglades to take part in a multi-day concert which culminated in an all night set from midnight to about 8 in the morning. It was the most spectacular concert there ever was. That is fact, not opinion, by the way. :)

There's quite a lot of Phish music to explore. Don't listen to a couple songs and think you've heard it all. There's quite a lot of variety in what they do. My favorite stuff is the older stuff.

Happy Phishing.

Brian

19. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    JUnta is my favorite album and my favorite song is contact because of the bass solo.AS for a cult I just have 1 thing to say...LOng live the beast, the night time is the right time.