Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A couple questions as to which bass to buy!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, May 27, 2001.

1. I'm new, so bear with me. :)

Here's my problem: I want an American Jazz, but I want to explore other options, too. I'm not happy with the Precisions I've tried out, simply because I don't want a bright sound. I've been looking into Stingrays, and they're the best looking guitars I've seen, but I haven't heard or played them, and I won't buy a bass for looks alone. So if you guys could give me some recommendations, I would appreciate it. Any info on the Stingray's sound/playability would help, too.

Also, I'm looking for a warm, midrange/low sound. What fingerboard woods would work best for this type of sound?

Thanks for the help.

2. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    Precision, bright? Riiight.

3. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    WHOA, u and i want the same basses. im also stuck between a fender jazz and a stingray. all i know is that the stingray has the funk sound, cuttin tone. hey, ive only played it once. both great basses though

4. Of the three basses you mentioned, the Precision generally has the warmest, deepest sound. If the Precision is too "bright" for you, you'll like the Jazz even less, and you'll absolutely hate the Stingray.

Mike

5. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    WHOA, redsmashing tool. were like basically the same. im from san antonio, ive been playin bass for a year. were both into geddy lee, and flea. and were stuck between same 2 basses. if u ever wanna chat email me man. were like brothers!!!!!!!

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm with Mikez on this one. The J is going to be brighter than you like. Just do what I do. Go ahead and buy it for the looks. You can EQ the sound.

[​IMG]

7. gee munji, thanks for helping out my GAS....... :(

I need to "fart" some GAS soon or I'm gonna go crazy!

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    if your specs are:
    warm, midrange/low sound
    precision, too bright

try the carnivore earthquaking sound of the gibson T-bird. you'll love it!

9. shakey_slim

shakey_slim

Jan 3, 2001
    Spokanistan
    P bass too bright?

Sounds like you need to try one with flatwounds on it. That will give you that warm, midrange low sound.

10. The Precision I tried out was used, and I don't think the pick ups were stock, so that may be why it was brighter then I'd like... I've tried out a stock american Jazz, and I loved the sound. I've also tried a Hot-Rodded I want a sound that is warm, but one that cuts through and has a nice low-end growl at the same time. Until I try out a Stingray or a better Precision, I'm probably going to end up going with the Jazz. I'll also check out a T-bird... about how much do they run for? And flat wound strings kill sustain, don't they?

p.s. how do Rickenbacker 4003's sound?

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The Rickenbacker is DEFINITELY not for you. If you got it you would be totally restricted to flatwounds.

The Precision is probably your best bet, with flats or rounds. Then again, for a little more, you could get a Fender Roscoe Beck 5...those are "ok". :D

12. They can, it depends on what brand. You can find tons of info about it in the strings forum. For the sound you described, I'd probably get the p bass with flatwounds, like some of the others said.

13. I just read in another post that roundwonds are okay for the 4003 Rickenbackers...

Also, what could I do to add sustain to my bass? I've read about clamps you can put on your headstock that increase sustain, but do they work?

14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    'the forget rickenbacker' is for you a must. i play and love rick basses, but they do not seem to follow your idea of bass. they are among the best but thay are not as boomy as you want. thay have a great sounds with amp cranked and they are full of mids and treble. my suggestion is still for the T-bird, even if i know they are expensive (maybe give a try to the gibson ripper they are ugly but fat sounding and cheaper than the t-bird). if you are interested in more modern sounding bass, i'll suggest you to check out the czech spector, gols hardware, true EMG pickups and enough high end sound to destroy your city. believe me thaey are great basses, i play one.
    marco

if you are a BIG STRONG MAN you could try the wonderful gibson RD artist. the heaviest bass on the whole world...and really FAT sounding....

15. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    taking a look to your profile i saw that you play a peavey bass equipped with emg. i don't know anything of that model and i have never played a peavey bass, here in italy they are absolutely not known and diffused. are you sure that they are EMG and not EMG HZ or EMG select? if they are true EMG and you are not satisfied with them i'm afraid that we have a completely different idea of what an ideal bass have to sound. in my modest opinion EMG sound fantastic on my czech SSD.

16. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    If you like Flea, he's playing a StingRay on most of the Peppers stuff. That's the classic 'Ray sound. Great for funk. Biting, "stinging" tone. Any bass can be less bright if you roll off the treble, but the 'Ray is pretty bright. What other respondents have said is true: the P-Bass is pretty warm usually. Check into G&Ls. I think that Leo Fender's last pickup design for G&L can be made to be very, very warm, almost dark, but not necessarily muddy.

17. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    try a G&L L-2000. They have a tone circuit that will give you about anything you want. Similar in feel to a P-bass. Better built IMHO.

I wouldn't give up hope on the stingray. With the right EQ, it might work for you.

Chas

18. Lull... umm last time I checked Fela plays either a Flea bass or a Fender P on the pepper stuff. Anyway, back to the regular stuff, I think that if you think that a P is too bright, you need to maybe try something with either EMG or Bart hummers.