1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A couple questions for everyone..

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Irie01, May 7, 2002.

1. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    I have been playing for almost a year now and must say I am developing very good technique and speed in my opinion. I can comfortably use all three fingers and the pinky is coming quite easy but I am not sure if I want to use it or not.My first question is concerning rest strokes. I started using rest strokes about 3 to 4 months ago. I have been playing musicmen so I have opted to not even use the pick up as a thumb rest at all. I can use it if I want, I like the end of the neck for those deeper tones, I can rest my thumb on the strings also, but mostly I am just resting the bottom of my palm on the pickguard, and my thumb rests on the guard. Imagine putting out a hitchhikers thumb, turning the thumb to the left and retsing on the guard. That s what it looks like I am not sure if this is exactly the "floating thumb or not." but it is how I feel most comfortable. My fingers are constantly resting on the strings except for plucking the E string. I pluck pretty damn hard(even broken strings), but I get a very killer and aggressive tone. I think that I am also quicker with the rest strokes.I would like to know what kind of technique I am using, and if I am limited or perhaps at advantage for the rest strokes. The best example I can give is Eric Wilson of sublime. If you have ever watched or seen him. My right hand technique looks identical to his.