A couple questions for everyone..

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Irie01, May 7, 2002.

1. Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    I have been playing for almost a year now and must say I am developing very good technique and speed in my opinion. I can comfortably use all three fingers and the pinky is coming quite easy but I am not sure if I want to use it or not.My first question is concerning rest strokes. I started using rest strokes about 3 to 4 months ago. I have been playing musicmen so I have opted to not even use the pick up as a thumb rest at all. I can use it if I want, I like the end of the neck for those deeper tones, I can rest my thumb on the strings also, but mostly I am just resting the bottom of my palm on the pickguard, and my thumb rests on the guard. Imagine putting out a hitchhikers thumb, turning the thumb to the left and retsing on the guard. That s what it looks like I am not sure if this is exactly the "floating thumb or not." but it is how I feel most comfortable. My fingers are constantly resting on the strings except for plucking the E string. I pluck pretty damn hard(even broken strings), but I get a very killer and aggressive tone. I think that I am also quicker with the rest strokes.I would like to know what kind of technique I am using, and if I am limited or perhaps at advantage for the rest strokes. The best example I can give is Eric Wilson of sublime. If you have ever watched or seen him. My right hand technique looks identical to his.