A Couple Questions on the SansAmp Bass Driver DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FOE_Bass, May 19, 2001.

1. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    First of all, is the rackmounted version out yet? Second, if I were to get the pedal version, where in my effects line should it go?
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I thought the rackmount was out, but could be wrong, since I haven't seen one.

The SABDDI should go between your bass and amp in the signal chain. In fact, it should be the first thing your bass hits.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

RAM - I agree with it being the first thing. I think Terry Buddingh's column in BP would support it.

But one thing that struck me weird in last month's BP - The Sansamp is shown last in Justin Chancellor's (Tool) signal chain. :confused: Maybe he just doesn't get much out of it. I thought he'd want it up front to shape the signal before all of his effects (about 5 or 6) started screwing with the sound since you can't fix a whacked out signal later down the line very effectively.
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I could be wrong, but I thought that the owner's manual for the SABDDI suggested that it's placed first in the signal chain, and NOT through an effects loop.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

All they say is,

If you're using it as a stomp box, they recommend plugging your bass directly into it and chaining effects afterwards.

If you're using it as a pre-amp, hook it up to the effects return and it bypasses your normal pre-amp. But they don't advise against doing it.
  6. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA

My guess is he might use the bass driver as a D.I. as well and want all of his effects in the line sent to FOH. If he put the bass driver first none of his many effects would be sent to FOH and wouldn't be as present in the mix.

Anyway that's how I'm hooking mine up and I it seems to be working fine.
  7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah...I think I missed that the first time around;)

I use it as a stomp box. Maybe in live situations it'll be used differently...who knows???