Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A couple questions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Konquest, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Hello all. I am a new member here and I need a few recommendations. First of all, my current band just added keyboard/synth running out of it's own 100W amp, and a beefed up PA for vocals. This is in addition to 1/sometimes 2 guitars @ 100W and drums. I have been using my old trace elliot 1215smx 15" combo. I think it is right around 280W or something like that. I would like to be able to cut through without cranking the amp so high(with the EQ engaged, I lose some punch and volume). I have been looking at GK stuff, since tube amps with the power that I am looking for seem to be a little out of my price range (ie. SWR, Mesa). I am thinking 700 rb II (480W @ 4ohm) or 1001 rb II (700W @ 4ohm).

1)Would I be best to go with a 2x12 or a 4x10?

2)Should I go the route of a 2X10 plus 1x15?

2b)If so, which should I get first ($$ is an issue)

3)Would it just be a better idea to get a pre/poweramp/cabinet setup.

finally...

4)Which, if any, of these items (head/pre/power/cab) would it be ok to buy used?

Thanks and sorry about the "quiz" format. I am a high school teacher, what can I say?

2. i'd imagine it'd depend on what kind of music you play and what sound you want to get out of it. I usually go shopping around til i find what i want. i finially settled on a 2x10 1x15 cabnet and a 80's Peavey Mark IV. $250 for both and it was totally not what i was looking for so you never know til you get out there you know

3. Hmmm... Personally, I'd go with the 4-10 first - they have a pretty versatile sound. Then you can always drop a 1-15 under it when the time is right. (I have no justification for my opinion, it's just the way I feel...)

-------
    HippieBoy

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well 1st and foremost, does you combo have an extension speaker out jack?
    most likely it does and most likely the internal speaker is 8 ohms
    if it does then i would go trying some 8 ohm speakers to find one you like to use as an extension cab
    you will get more apparent volume that way

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    1)Would I be best to go with a 2x12 or a 4x10?
    A: 212 if you like fat mellow, 410 punch but has lows

2)Should I go the route of a 2X10 plus 1x15?
    A: if you like the idea of "modular" you can use the 210 for smaller or practice gigs, maybe a 410 instead of 115

2b)If so, which should I get first ($$ is an issue)
    A: if you don't really like the sound of you rig right now, get new cabs first, read "TheRules" in my sig.

3)Would it just be a better idea to get a pre/poweramp/cabinet setup.
    A: Generally most people keep moving up in amps, cabs, combos etc. if you find yourself itching for news stuff frequently then go separates. you combo is pretty high power as it is and larger combos will get really heavy real quick, separates allow more flexibility of upgrade. SEPARATES I'd say.

finally...

4)Which, if any, of these items (head/pre/power/cab) would it be ok to buy used?
    A: I wouldn't buy used cabs off internet, ALWAYS try before you buy SEE THE RULES BELOW...