Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a couple questions....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaggedsphere, Jan 3, 2003.

1. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    1) lets say I have a QSC PLX 2402, one 4ohm Acme B2 and an 8ohm 15" Yorkville could I run the two cabs at the same time one per chanel despite the fact the one is 8 and one is 4 ohms?

2) where can I find an article which can tell me in simple terms :) what this impedence thing is and how is applies to my tone?

edit: :confused:
    I see all these calculations and gibberish and still cannot figure out how impedence affects TONE am I missing something?!?!
    would 2 identical cabinets one being 4 and one being 8 SOUND absolutly identical? :eek:

thanks!
    Richard

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    yes.

http://www.talkbass.com/ampfaq/

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Impedance isn't as much about tone as you think. It's more about not overloading your amp and blowing it up.

Imagine your legs are an amp and Ohms are the slope of the hill you're trying to run up. If the hill gets too steep,your legs will eventually start to buckle and/or slip out from under you. The same thing will happen to an amp if you run it with too much resistance. Oh and 2 ohms is a really steep hill, but 8 ohms is a slight hill. Got it.

Before you run the 4 ohm cab and the 8 ohm cab from the same chanel, can you please check something first? Can the QSC amp run with a 2 ohm load? A 4 ohm cab and a 8 ohm cab together creates a moninal Impedance of about 3 ohms. Most amps can only handle 4 ohms so a 3 ohms load will blow it. If it's designed to run at 2 ohms, no problem.

Just going back to the tone thing, I once did an experiment where I took 2 speakers of 8 ohms each. I first wired em up in series to create a 16 ohm load, then had a listen. I then re-wired them in paralell to get a resiance of 4 ohms and had another listen. They sounded exactly the same except for one thing. At 16 ohms, the amp was kinda running downhill (to keep the example flowing). It sounded softer until I turned the volume up a bit. Other than that, no difference.