1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A couple Tobias Toby Pro-4 Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by baktothebassics, Aug 14, 2004.

1. I am ready to buy my first bass, considering I dont have a ton of money and I am going to college in a year I dont think it would be wise of me to spent a load, but I would like something built well and strong. I have heard mixed reviews about the Tobias, so I cant come to a conclusive answer. It needs to be able to hold its own in gigs, playing mostly Jazz/Funk, and occasional light rock. I know that I want something that would accept upgrades, because I dont want to have to buy another bass for at least a couple years. Is the Tobias up to this?
    -Geoff

P.S. Sorry to post such a low down post as my first. :bassist:

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I had one of them, and really liked it. It is well made, comfortable to play, and sounds good. The only complaint I had was that the preamp was weak. The volume was lower than any other bass of mine, including passive basses. I replaced it with a Bartolini preamp, and it sounded really great. The only reason I sold it is that I have back problems and prefer to play lighter basses. I know I'm going to regret it someday.

3. I have the six-string version of that bass. First the good - I think the sound of the bass is very versatile and clear, especially in the low register of the instrument. The recording engineer where I do most of my recordings really likes the bass. In fact, he makes me record with it instead of my Yamaha Trb-JP. I also really enjoy the feel of the wood under the fingers when I'm playing.

On the down side, the pre-amp is weak. This is a comment you'll always hear about the Toby-pros Tobias Basses. If you switch basses between gigs, you have to make a two notch adjustment to your volume on the amp between one bass and the tobias. In truth however, this is not such a big deal and the sound is very satisfying.

All in all, I do recommend the bass.

4. I have a lefty toby pro 4 and I also like it a lot. I am not much for active eq, so I solved the weak preamp problem by just taking it out and re-wiring it passive. Replacing the pickups eventually would be the only thing I'd really want to change about it.