Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A crackheaded idea

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 18, 2003.

1. 42" ABG, fretless, with piezo pickups and gut or nylon strings. Body would be approximately the volume of a 1/8-size DB.

Basically, the old Ampeg AMB-1, taken to new levels of sophistication.

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, I think it is a crackheaded idea.

The 34" scale on my Tacoma can be a bit hard to play because of slight neck dive. Imagine if you added 8 inches to that!

Also I imagine itd be really uncomfortable to both reach around a large acoustic body and across a huge neck.

I get the idea, but personally see it as more practical to just get the doghouse.

Peace
    Nick

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    For me, i think my left hand technique would be greatly harmed, even if i used the standard DB fingering (lay off the third finger until thumb position...) It would have to be played upright, which in that case, it might as well just be an EUB.

4. I was talking about this with a friend--if you made a hollow graphite neck and then shaped the body in such a way as to bring the nut as close to your face as possible, it might just be doable. This might involve asymmetry in all three axes of the body, though, which would be wacky.

5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    add some lightwave pickups, and you might have an idea there!

:D

f

6. I knew you'd come through for me, man.

Can you put Lightwaves in a hollowbody setup, though? They sure would help with the balance. Anyway, this would be a primarily acoustic instrument.

7. can there be a keen tribal inlay at the 12th fret?

8. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    well...

as i've said before...its common knowledge that i've been doing some design work for lightwave.

AND, Chris at LW doesn't mind me mentioning our next project.

we will be adapting the Lightwave system to an acoustic electric 6 string guitar.

i've had the honor of playing 2 prototypes.

a carvin A/E and an UNBELIEVEABLE TURNER A/E.

get this...i think the LW pups sound BETTER on guitar than bass.

the sky's the limit on this technology.

2003 will be an interesting year!

word has it, that someone in europe adapted a Lightwave system on an upright bass. the reponse was insane!

its a different voice. and some may not like it.

but, if your looking for new timbres...this is it!

f

9. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I have a friend who claims that his electric is either a 38 or 42 inch scale. It's an older yamaha. I played it, sure doesn't feel that long. Don't want to tell him because he's a little sensitive about being wrong.

10. Back in your hole.

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I replaced my factory tuners with Hipshot UltraLites. Solved my neck dive problem, and they work better, too!

12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Claims like this can be solved by suitable application of a ruler, however ego-deflating it may be.

13. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    It's not such a wacky idea. When I played in a bluegrass band last summer, I got tired of standing up, and played the double bass across my lap like a guitar. I'm 6'8" and it really didn't look that bad.

Mark

14. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    has Carvin changed their tune?

15. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.

HA!!!!!! ...a cold day...

nah, this was a Carvin that LW had modified. carvin engineering wasn't involved at all.

f

16. in an old issue of BP they had an ad from the 30's for what looked like a huge ABG, with frets, designed to be played upright. the scale length looked at least 40".
    they were marketing it as an alternative to the doghouse- I wonder if any of those survive today....

17. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    I used to play my Ampeg baby bass as a standard electric bass