A crappy recording from a crappy band.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 74rickbass, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Here is a recording of my band. It was recorded at a school. and all they had was Cakewalk for recording. I wish I was using Cubase like we have at my school, but Noooo!! but anyway, it sucks and we couldnt mix it properly, but here it is... it was so frustrating.

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I always like to see if anybody can out crappy me for recording quality. Too bad I couldn't hear it. I guess you win. :smug:
  3. ok, try now, sorry about that.
  4. ya better post it somewhere else where the bandwidth isnt so restrictive...nobody will ever be able to hear it....it is out of service right now.
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    no more using geocities for hosting mp3's. you exceeded you bandwidth. That sucks.
  6. Try posting them on soundclick.com
  7. Thanks smash for the heads-up.

We're going to try to record at MY school next time (next week or two), and we have alot better gear... so it should turn out so much better...
  8. More opinions please, I want to know what people think, so we can improve.
  9. Good chorus. It opens up nicely. Not really much melodic direction with the music, but that's common in this style of music. Just chord changes are ok, too. :) Not much else to say. Just keep practicing to get tighter and, most importantly, have fun. Oh, and I'm not really sure if I like your band name. Numbers instead of letters kind of just rub me the wrong way. Might want to rethink that one :D
  10. Our name isnt actully Solidst8, It's solidstate, but both "solidstate" and "solid state" were both takin... so I had to resort to that... I totally agree, I also think it's very lame too...

11. Cool song. I could hear everything pretty well despite the not-so-good quality of the recording. Nice bassline and the song was very catchy and I love your singer's voice. Keep up the good work!

12. Tez

Jan 24, 2004
    Your Guitarist and Drummer need to learn how to support the vocalist not stomp all over him .

13. The singer doesn't suck...That's saying a lot, really....Just can't hear him well at times....

How did you go about recording the guitar? It sounds a bit scratchy for my taste...
  14. Hey now, I have the SVT-3 Pro head as well, and it has a tube preamp. Looks like you have to change the name :D
  15. I am really starting to hate Windows Media Player. :mad:
  16. that was cool, terrible recording quality but sounds like a good song
  17. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Maybe a crappy recording, not a crappy band...
  18. 74rickbass, you need to get a tighter foundation laid.........drums......the kick is completely drowned out by the Bass.The Kick and the Bass need to compliment each other in a mix. I do like the Bass tone, but it's up front to much in the mix.

Remember it's better to cut when EQing than it is to boost.

Then I would concentrate on the Hi-hat with the guitar blend. These two instruments also work off of each other. The symbols, or over heads, are clipping the mic, I can hear it in the recording.

Once your foundation is mixed then you need to work on the vocals. I would compress the vocals so that the loud parts are even with the quiet parts.

The lead guitar needs to come up a little on the solo. Again, nice guitar tone, I just want to hear more of it!

keep up the good work, things will get better each time you record...........guaranteed!

Nice lyric's too!